Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:00 AM

We're not moving...well not yet anyway!

We've taken the house off the market...Clive's work has picked up so much that we are going to get a new kitchen and bathroom put in here, then sit back on our laurels for a while and then reconsider our options later in the year. It will only add value to the house and, hopefully, the country may be in a better state by then.

I feel sort of sad as I was desperate for a bungalow for my knees and for some land for Hen to run around in, but we are fortunate that we have a beautiful house and it's in a nice area, so other than my selfish reasons, we're very happy here. Of course, we will be monitoring the situation as, if the work dries up again we will have to go back on the market, but we will have a bit nicer house to offer. I'm having a corner bath with a jacuzzi in it...I'd be happy to keep what we've got and just re-tile in the bathroom but Clive wants to treat me, bless him

I shall still do the lottery and, if we have a win, then we can buy our little place in the country and have it there ready for when it suits us to move
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
We've taken the house off the market...Clive's work has picked up so much that we are going to get a new kitchen and bathroom put in here, then sit back on our laurels for a while and then reconsider our options later in the year. It will only add value to the house and, hopefully, the country may be in a better state by then.

I feel sort of sad as I was desperate for a bungalow for my knees and for some land for Hen to run around in, but we are fortunate that we have a beautiful house and it's in a nice area, so other than my selfish reasons, we're very happy here. Of course, we will be monitoring the situation as, if the work dries up again we will have to go back on the market, but we will have a bit nicer house to offer. I'm having a corner bath with a jacuzzi in it...I'd be happy to keep what we've got and just re-tile in the bathroom but Clive wants to treat me, bless him

I shall still do the lottery and, if we have a win, then we can buy our little place in the country and have it there ready for when it suits us to move
Sheree, just a word of advice a corner bath will not sell your home, many people are put off by them, they are never as big as a normal bath , so may put off some of your buyers, (if they are tall) plus they are very much seem as old fashioned.

My son fits bathrooms all the time and this is coming from him! he sees what people want , and its not corner baths.

The jacuzzi ,is another, I have one in my bath, and would get rid in a heart beat, they are terrible to keep clean, the water jets lime scale up, making the bath look dirty, its the bane of my life trying to find products to clean them up.

Personally Sheree, I would be looking at free standing roll top baths (if you have room for a separate shower, go for as big as you can get in the room.

I am forever on at my hubby and son to get rid of that jacuzzi bath, its drives me mad.

And make sure you go for white, dont be temepted to go for a colour .
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sheree, just a word of advice a corner bath will not sell your home, many people are put off by them, they are never as big as a normal bath , so may put off some of your buyers, (if they are tall) plus they are very much seem as old fashioned.

My son fits bathrooms all the time and this is coming from him! he sees what people want , and its not corner baths.

The jacuzzi ,is another, I have one in my bath, and would get rid in a heart beat, they are terrible to keep clean, the water jets lime scale up, making the bath look dirty, its the bane of my life trying to find products to clean them up.

Personally Sheree, I would be looking at free standing roll top baths (if you have room for a separate shower, go for as big as you can get in the room.

I am forever on at my hubby and son to get rid of that jacuzzi bath, its drives me mad.

And make sure you go for white, dont be temepted to go for a colour .
Thanks for that Jackie We are definately going for white, we've got whisper peach at the moment, and, to be honest I would be happy keeping that and just re-tiling, because I love my bath and spend hours in there each day I think Clive just wants to pamper me. I shall have a word with him, we've got a large bathroom so one of those roll top ones would look lovely.

The reason we were looking at the corner baths is because of my knees, I cry out sitting down and then again when I have to get up to get out, whereas my corner bath in another house had a sort of seat bit on it, so I could lower myself in and out using that.

I'll definately take your advice though and research it a bit more thoroughly
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thanks for that Jackie We are definately going for white, we've got whisper peach at the moment, and, to be honest I would be happy keeping that and just re-tiling, because I love my bath and spend hours in there each day I think Clive just wants to pamper me. I shall have a word with him, we've got a large bathroom so one of those roll top ones would look lovely.

The reason we were looking at the corner baths is because of my knees, I cry out sitting down and then again when I have to get up to get out, whereas my corner bath in another house had a sort of seat bit on it, so I could lower myself in and out using that.I'll definately take your advice though and research it a bit more thoroughly
I can see that, and if its just for you , then go for it, but if you are doing it for sale value , then go for simplicity ,

I cant tell you the amount of corner baths my son takes out,

But its all down to the reasons, you want one, if if for your health then go for it, dont be rolled into thinking the jests will ease your knee, they wont, they always seem to hit you in the wrong places....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

We bought a house in Suffolk with a corner bath, I thought it was nice looking but after my first bath I couldn't wait to replace it, OH (for once) was entirely in agreement

I like to stretch out in the bath and no way can you do this with a corner bath. If you're concern is being able to get in and out then you can get ones with nice big handles either side and frankly, even if you don't have a physical need I would suggest handles are a fantastic safety feature, even the most fit and active of people can slip and fall in the bath, it's right at the top of the A&E hit list

Never had a jacussi so can't comment, but they do have lots of little holes and water does carry lots of things which can block such holes so what Jackbox has written seems to make sense.

If you just have the bathroom tiled couldn't Clive pamper you in some other way (Better not answer that on a public forum )
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
We bought a house in Suffolk with a corner bath, I thought it was nice looking but after my first bath I couldn't wait to replace it, OH (for once) was entirely in agreement

I like to stretch out in the bath and no way can you do this with a corner bath. If you're concern is being able to get in and out then you can get ones with nice big handles either side and frankly, even if you don't have a physical need I would suggest handles are a fantastic safety feature, even the most fit and active of people can slip and fall in the bath, it's right at the top of the A&E hit list

Never had a jacussi so can't comment, but they do have lots of little holes and water does carry lots of things which can block such holes so what Jackbox has written seems to make sense.

If you just have the bathroom tiled couldn't Clive pamper you in some other way (Better not answer that on a public forum )
Naughty, naughty Harvey!!

The problem I have with the bath is putting the weight on my knees when I have to bend them, the seat in the corner bath will allow me to get in more gently...I've got handles on the bath at the moment but they're in the wrong place

I think we will go to some showrooms and have a good look before committing...I don't want him to spend a fortune and then not be happy with it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds like you're doing what we did a while ago, but we're back on the house hunt again, coz I just can't warrant sitting on all this money, when we can move 60 miles away and get the same for half the amount, so it's all on again here!

I couldn't agree more with Jackie about that corner bath, they're very 80's, you definitely need a roll top (with a view!) but those normal baths with all the jets are spa baths aren't they? I thought the jacuzzi's were those things you had out in the garden?

Be careful how much you spend, coz in this climate you might not get it back! Who knows what's going to happen in the future, we could even be plummeting lower that's why I'm getting out of it while we've still got the chance. If we spend less money on our next property, then we have less to lose and more in the bank (not that that's gonna be worth much either ). Quite a scarey state of affairs isn't it, might just stick all the cash in the bank and live in a caravan!!!

Enjoy your revamp then Sheree, but my advice would be don't spend too much. When I think of the money we spent when mum was here with our loft extension and just about everything else we revamped in this house, we will hardly get any of it back, and that was well over £80K, quite shocking to look back now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sounds like you're doing what we did a while ago, but we're back on the house hunt again, coz I just can't warrant sitting on all this money, when we can move 60 miles away and get the same for half the amount, so it's all on again here!

I couldn't agree more with Jackie about that corner bath, they're very 80's, you definitely need a roll top (with a view!) but those normal baths with all the jets are spa baths aren't they? I thought the jacuzzi's were those things you had out in the garden?

Be careful how much you spend, coz in this climate you might not get it back! Who knows what's going to happen in the future, we could even be plummeting lower that's why I'm getting out of it while we've still got the chance. If we spend less money on our next property, then we have less to lose and more in the bank (not that that's gonna be worth much either ). Quite a scarey state of affairs isn't it, might just stick all the cash in the bank and live in a caravan!!!

Enjoy your revamp then Sheree, but my advice would be don't spend too much. When I think of the money we spent when mum was here with our loft extension and just about everything else we revamped in this house, we will hardly get any of it back, and that was well over £80K, quite shocking to look back now.
I know what you mean about sitting on the money H, when you think that we were on for £345k and the ones we were looking for were £150k-£180k with loads of land, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Clive can do the bathroom and kitchen himself, he thinks the pair of them will cost in the region of £1500, he has friends that will help him, (builders, plumbers, electicians...they all help each other out at their own homes and those of families), so we won't have huge labour costs on top of buying the bath/kitchen units.

The idea of the bath is to help me...I would really like one of those with the door in that you walk into, but not sure we could stretch to that, plus I would be loathe to leave it behind when we do move.

I must admit, it was more me that wanted to move at the moment, but I was just talking to Clive about it and he said he definately wants to move, he just wants a bit of space to reconsider what we are trying to achieve, (he would only be home at weekends so living like a student here in MK, whilst I am lady of the manor in Lincs/Cambs/Norfolk or wherever we end up

All the best with your sale, I'm sure your house will be snapped up, I remember seeing all the photos when you had it altered to cater for your mum. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Lol, that's just what we'll be doing too, coz if we do move to the Kent area, then of course, Dave can't commute to his garage each day, so he plans to have a camper van with a shower, bed and telly, which he can just drive into the workshop each night, whilst I'm lording it up at home with the dogs!! He will only be doing that for 3 nights a week though, so he can come home Thursday night and not go back till Monday mornings, so it's a good idea for us all round, to try and give Dave a shorter working week, and me some freedom from all the noise in this lovely, quaint, but not-so-quiet village So I'll be spending all the spare money we get whilst he carries on working to recoup it all again, sounds like a good idea to me lol!

It seems strange that your house is worth the same as ours now, when this area is soooo expensive, especially in this much sought after village, maybe they're priced us wrong, or prices have gone up a bit over the last 3 months? We're 4 bed, 3 bathrooms, garage, parking for 5 cars all secured behind locked gates, and a big lawned garden, and although we WERE £395K in 2008, they've now told me it's £345!!! See what I mean about the money we spent, that's all forgotten it would seem, coz before we went up, we were actually up for sale for £300 anyway! I still say it's a good time to move for us anyway, coz I'm getting scared this house might be worth peanuts and it's our pension afterall!

That caravan idea of mine seems more and more appealing Either that or renting a place until the market settles down, you just don't know. Just don't spend too much coz although the house might be more appealing for a resale, I doubt the value will go up by that amount, coz people actually "expect" to have a very high spec with what they buy now, it's definitely a buyer's market out there. Let Clive think long and hard about it all.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
There is a nice bungalow up the road from me - I was just looking through to be nosey at my neighbours ( )

http://www.gascoines.com/property-de...hp?id=22305183

Sheree, you'll find your perfect house soon. Could I suggest a Wet room? My nan has one and I love it! Gets a bit chilly though as her's is a big wet room, but she has bad ankles so she has a chair in hers but it was good for my Aunt for her spinal injuries and bad knees..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >