Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Lauren,

I too will only tell you to get him to the vets asap, but will try to put your mind to rest about allergies. Not all dogs with allergies are condemned to a life on steroids. Most skin allergies are actually food allergies and a change in diet often times will be curative.

But I agree with Mini that this doesn't look like an allergy.

Let us know what the vet says.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Sounds like this vet is ripping me off I've still got two months supply of Advocate left, so I'll just continue with that and see how he goes Diesel hates being bathed in that toxic stuff anyway, and that's what I explained to the vet, but he was adamant.

Thanks x

Let me know how it goes. Is your as bad as Jakes?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Does look like Demodex mange. Dogs who develop this (if it is) will always be prone to it. They have a depleted immune system for some reason and will succumb to it in times of illness or stress. All dogs inherit the demodex mite, but most never develop the mange as their immune systems are good.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Good luck at the vets, hope whatever it is you get it sorted. Let us know how you get on.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Let me know how it goes. Is your as bad as Jakes?
No, not as bad as Jake's, Diesel goes bald behind the ears, odd spots on the back legs, his isn't red as such either.....I've already used the dreaded bath stuff on him back in November when I took him to the vet, so he's about to have his second dose of Advocate on Friday

Lauren, how's Jake? x
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Does look like Demodex mange. Dogs who develop this (if it is) will always be prone to it. They have a depleted immune system for some reason and will succumb to it in times of illness or stress. All dogs inherit the demodex mite, but most never develop the mange as their immune systems are good.
Yes I agree Diesel's 2 1/2 years now, this is about his 4 or 5th flare up, that's why the vet has advised me to use the Advocate now every month for the next 18 months to keep it under control, if in 18 months we stop the Advocate and it flares up again then he'll have to remain on monthly Advocate for the rest of his life x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
thanks everyone.

he has been to the vet, and she just said it looks like 'some kind of mite'... so he has drops for his ears and she has ordered spot on for him that i have to go pick up tomorrow. i was surprised she didnt mention the bath stuff or advocate, and didnt know spot on could get used for mites, thought it was just for fleas... can it be used for mites?

i also thought she would have checked what kind of mite it is, but i guess she must just be able to tell what it is... i also was hoping there was something i could do to help his eyes until the spot on takes effect...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Poor Jake it does look sore.

Hope what the vet has given him clears it up and it now stays away.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thanks everyone.

he has been to the vet, and she just said it looks like 'some kind of mite'... so he has drops for his ears and she has ordered spot on for him that i have to go pick up tomorrow. i was surprised she didnt mention the bath stuff or advocate, and didnt know spot on could get used for mites, thought it was just for fleas... can it be used for mites?

i also thought she would have checked what kind of mite it is, but i guess she must just be able to tell what it is... i also was hoping there was something i could do to help his eyes until the spot on takes effect...
The "spot on" will probably be advocate, its effective against loads of things, and the mite the demodex mite! It should work, but he may have flare ups all his life.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thanks everyone.

Hi Lauren I can't argue with your vet but to me the sores look 'wet' , more like a bacterial infection (this can begin with mites and other things ).

Another member here had something similar a while back and I have seen it in a friends dog.

ETA I can PM a picture to you if you wish but I won't post another person's picture here .
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >