Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Cat Food

Not sure if this post is in the correct place, sorry if not.

My parents are getting a rescue cat, a siamese i think. They have owned cats for the last 40 odd years but its been a while since the last one.

Silly question but can anyone recommend a decent cat food. Dry and wet please there are so many on the market, just wondering what people on here use

Thanks
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Royal Canin do a Siamese food, best check what the cat is being fed just now so that food can be phased in Siamese are notorious for gippy tums with to much change to diet

Also would recommend a Feliway Plug in just to help the settling in process

I have 50 cats and 2 dogs so have done a lot of this stuff - my cats are mainly ferals who have chosen to live with us humans
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Royal Canin sensible 33. James Wellbeloved do decent dry food too.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
If they and the cat are willing, then raw is excellent for cats - RMB prey model, as cats have no need nor use for carbs or veg in their diet, much more so than dogs.

Getting bone into cats can be a problem but home-made minced chicken wings can work also the Prize Choice minces have enough bone in. You would not be getting the teeth-cleaning benefits of bone in this way but it may be possible to do a part-kibble part-raw, using something like RC Oral Health as a topper. Ideally, a chicken wing weekly would do all that but it's not easy to get cats interested in them, I know from experience!

The BritBarf group on Yahoo will answer all your questions about raw food for cats. Having got mine onto a part-raw diet, I wouldn't want to go anyway else, but of course it's hugely different with a rescue.

If it helps, the Siamese & Orientals I have owned in the past were always very good eaters some to the point of gluttons, even before the days of raw feeding mine would happily tackle some pieces of raw lamb breast.

My last litter of kittens were mostly raw fed, weaned onto raw, and a vet who asw them at 10 weeks couldn't believe how big, heavy and well-muscled they were. They were also given all kinds of commercial wet & dry foods as babies so they didn't develop preferences, but they would pile into a bowl of raw lambs heart and ignore the Whiskas
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Pro Plan sensitive dry which ours love + it agrees with our 8 months old sensitive gut

They were getting Natures Menu wet which is a good food - high protein however we were snowed in just before Christmas and could only get what the local village store had in stock which was Felix and since they were introduced to it they refuse anything else in the wet line. However they are both doing very well on what they are getting. I dont like feeding an all dry diet for either dogs or cats

Good luck with the new arrival and dont forget to put photos up
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:37 AM
My 3 eat Royal Canin and never have any problems with it, as for wet they recently started eating Felix sensations. Before that I could not get them to eat any wet other than one of the Gourmet cat food lines (the very expensive one!). Due to snow, we couldn't get the Gourmet and they had to try Felix and like it. They don't eat much wet food as the Royal Canin seems to do the trick!

I used to feed my cats Science Plan but they changed the recipe to a 'new improved' and my cats refuse to eat it now!

Good luck - and I too look forward to seeing the pics!!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
If they and the cat are willing, then raw is excellent for cats - RMB prey model, as cats have no need nor use for carbs or veg in their diet, much more so than dogs.

Getting bone into cats can be a problem but home-made minced chicken wings can work also the Prize Choice minces have enough bone in. You would not be getting the teeth-cleaning benefits of bone in this way but it may be possible to do a part-kibble part-raw, using something like RC Oral Health as a topper. Ideally, a chicken wing weekly would do all that but it's not easy to get cats interested in them, I know from experience!

The BritBarf group on Yahoo will answer all your questions about raw food for cats. Having got mine onto a part-raw diet, I wouldn't want to go anyway else, but of course it's hugely different with a rescue.

If it helps, the Siamese & Orientals I have owned in the past were always very good eaters some to the point of gluttons, even before the days of raw feeding mine would happily tackle some pieces of raw lamb breast.

My last litter of kittens were mostly raw fed, weaned onto raw, and a vet who asw them at 10 weeks couldn't believe how big, heavy and well-muscled they were. They were also given all kinds of commercial wet & dry foods as babies so they didn't develop preferences, but they would pile into a bowl of raw lambs heart and ignore the Whiskas
Excellent advice

I've got one of my cats onto a partly raw diet, with raw minced turkey, chicken & lamb plus a few small pices of offal now & again. I'm struggling to get her to do anything more than lick at chicken wings though but she did knaw at a cooked pork rib she knicked from a plate once!

A vet I know also feeds his orientals on a raw diet ~ he gets the day old frozen chicks used for reptile feeding & just defrosts them & chucks them down the garden. His cats love them
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The question isn't what do you feed your cat, but what is your cat prepared to allow you to feed IT?

I'm mid-battle of wills with the tripod - she wants to go onto supermarket wet food pouches, I like her one of the premium tier dried foods - currently she's winning unfortunately (overindulged moggie that she is).

So at the moment she's on Tesco pouches - they're not awesome but the vet commented on the fantastic condition of her last time he saw her and she does have the most beautiful shiny coat (it's easy when you spend 23.5 hours a day washing yourself I guess), prior to that she was on either Purina or James Wellbeloved when I could get to a stockist of it.

Mine won't touch anything other than cat food - she'll turn her nose up at turkey, smoked salmon, tuna - the works - just looks at you like "you're expecting me to eat THAT?" and flounces off.

The other thing about cats is whichever food you stock up on that you think you've found they liked... they'll suddenly go off when you've stockpiled it on special offer.

I'd LOVE a siamese - used to tutor a kid who had a siamese and a bengal running around the house and they were both stunning cats.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Not a cat owner myself, but I would say follow the same rules as dog food - read the ingredients carefully. Short, specific ingredient lists that tell you exactly what you're feeding. Meat definately as the main ingredient since cats are obligate carnivores. I've also heard that it's important to make sure wet food plays a big role in the diet to put less strain on the kidneys.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:27 AM
applaws and almo nature are good
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >