Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Highland Pony

Some of you may remember I had to make the sad decision to let my Highland mare, Marilla, go last year as I simply didn't feel I had enough time in the day to do justice to her. It worked out brilliantly in the end, because one of the Estate workers wives decided to buy her, which meant I would still get to see her every day and she would remain in the same field as she had when she was mine, with her same field mates etc. I could also have a ride or a cuddle whenever I wanted.

Her new owner came up to my house a couple of nights ago to get me to sign the transfer form into her name, and also to tell me that she is thinking of selling her From what she said, she is having the same trouble as me. She is now working in the shooting lodge, as well as helping around the Lodge's garden and grounds and is struggling to have enough time to spend with her and ride her. She is such a friendly mare and thrives on human company.

There is an older lady, who is a retired farmer's wife, who has a wanted ad on the HP Society website (she already has a retired Highland and an Exmoor) and the home sounds as though it might be absolutely perfect for Marilla.

I did have 24 hours of wondering whether I should buy her back and attempt to split my time between my family, the dogs and her, but at the end of the day I just knew I would end up in the same situation.

So, the lady who is interested is coming up to have a look at her on Sunday.

I do hope she likes her (and I don't see why she shouldn't, as she is totally lovely ), but I just feel sad that I may not see her again.

Do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask this lady if she could let me know every once in a while how Marilla is getting on? Or should I just let her go (as, after all, she is no longer mine)?

Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:14 AM
That's not unreasonable at all, I'm still in contact with one of the owners of a horse I sold a while back, she just sends the odd email probably twice a year to let me know how she is getting on.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 12:04 PM
oh what a shame that you might not see her anymore...but in another way it is better for Marilla to be in a home with time for her.

As for asking about being kept in touch - I don't think there is any harm in asking, but you'll have to respect the person's wishes if they say no (or say yes and then don't!)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
That's not unreasonable at all, I'm still in contact with one of the owners of a horse I sold a while back, she just sends the odd email probably twice a year to let me know how she is getting on.
Thanks CC. The lady is coming up on Sunday, so if she does take her then I will ask if it is ok. Even just once a year would be nice, just so I know she is happy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh what a shame that you might not see her anymore...but in another way it is better for Marilla to be in a home with time for her.

As for asking about being kept in touch - I don't think there is any harm in asking, but you'll have to respect the person's wishes if they say no (or say yes and then don't!)
I think the home does sound perfect for her, and it would be lovely to think she would have a 5* home where she gets loads of attention, as she just loves a fuss.

I totally agree Hali. If the new owner said they would rather not, then I would respect that. I think what I really want to know if just that she settles in ok and that she is happy, so I suppose even just a one off email would be great.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear Marilla is going I know she didn't belong to you now but at least you could still go and say hello to her. Sounds like it will be a good home for her and I do hope she will keep in touch with you.

Helen
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think there is any problem asking, the horse I had to sell 4 years ago new owner still rings every now and then to let me know how he is doing.