Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Rescue dogs with issues and the DDA?

Ok I'm going to ask a question here that may cause a bit of offence, for which I apologise in advance

I know that there are many owners who are frantically worrying because there dogs look similar to pitbulls and are far more likely to be targeted than my dog as he looks nothing like any of the breeds banned but this is what I am worried about.

People keep saying that if the police come to your house keep calm and show them a calm, well behaved dog. This is what worries me...

We rehomed Max at 2 years of age and at that time he was very wary of strangers and other dogs. He has improved considerably over the last 2.5 years to the extent that he will now pass by people and dogs wihout barking manically or whining and struggling.

Unfortunately Max is very wary of strangers that come to the door (he was collected from one of his homes by the people that we rehomed him from). When someone we are expecting comes to the door we shut him behind the stable door in the kitchen and he looks over the top. Provided that person come straight up to him and fusses him he will settle down very quickly and he is a big old softy wanting a fussing.

What worries me though is that if a concerned person reported us for having a big 'unknown breed' dog and the police came round they would be confronted with a very big, vocal dog and it concerns me that they would judge him on this basis alone. Max is no danger to anybody. He is always walked on a long line and if we see a person / dog we clip his short lead onto his halti to give us more control.

Nobody seems to have commented on dogs with behavioural problems and I just wondered if anyone knew how rescue dogs with issues might be treated?

AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 08:29 PM
The same would go for anyone with a dog that shows aggression, regardless of whether it's a rescue dog or not. A police officer can seize a dog for two reasons, 1) It is seen to be, or reported to be, out of control in a public place. 2) looks like a type of dog banned under the DDA. If it is found to be either the courts can insist on the dog being kept on lead and muzzled in a public places, you would need to prove that it would not constitute a danger to public safety, and if you can, the Court may allow it to be registered.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 08:36 PM
btw Max is stunning :smt049 :smt049 :smt049
What breeds are in him? B.mastiff, GSD, Rottie ?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
btw Max is stunning :smt049 :smt049 :smt049
What breeds are in him? B.mastiff, GSD, Rottie ?
Thanks! He is bullmastiff / GSD.

I understand your answer but what I am wondering is if someone reports him and the police come. Do I open the door and they look at him and say 'no he looks nothing like any of the banned dogs'. If he then barks at them can they count that as agression as he is on private property and not in a public place and I think many dogs would bark at a stranger coming into their home?

Technically he won't ever be out of control in a public place as he is always on a lead and we tend to walk in remote areas and don't see many people and if we do we give them a wide berth.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Majuka,
First off, what a beauty he is!

Secondly, are you saying that since 2005 the UK has become a 'Police state' (That was the last time I was resident there)

IMHO You have absolutly nothing to worry about. I maybe wrong but all the information posted on here indicates that the Police can NOT take a dog away on the say so of an 'informer' they must have a professional opinion from an acknowledged expert who defines the dog as one of the breeds in the DDA (just as they have to use professional experts for handwriting, vehicle damage, forensics etc etc).

Yes, they have to follow up complaints from people (That is there job)
Yes, they will probably tell you all about the consequences of contravening the DDA To which the correct reply should be [I]"Yes officer I know that, are you saying the law has recently changed? [/I](You & they of course know that it has not)

I think that there's much sensible stuff written on Dogsey to which you can refer. There is also (unfortunately) another thread (I can only see part) which seems to have moved into the fantasy world of ' The Bill' and 'The Proffessionals'

I will be resident again soon and I would not want to return to a country where the Police could just knock on my door and take my dog away.

I hope that helps, please please don't worry, all the media hype has forced the Police to look as if they are doing something, I am usually supportive of them but over this I think they and the DPP would be better engaged in trying to get a conviction of the scumbag who started it all.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Just read AnneUK response:-
1) We're not talking about a public place so there's no worry there
2) That needs to be stated by an expert, not a Bobby on the beat type person.

If he barks or growls when (if) they were to call on you then IMO that is just protecting your property which I always thought the Police were in favour of. I know for a fact that they are very supportive of people who fit burglar alarms.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Losos

Thank you very much, your post is very reassuring.

We have tried so hard and come so far with Max but I know that there is still a long way to go with him and that was what was concerning me.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 09:05 PM
If someone made a complaint to the police, the police have to be seen to be following the report through, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job. The police officers I've met also think the DDA is a joke, but have to act on it, where as up until the new years attack used to turn a blind eye.

If the report was that the dog was aggressive in public, the police have the powers to seize the dog and have the dogs temperament assessed by an expert, the reality is under the DDA the same could apply to any owner regardless of breed or dogs temperament, for example; you have a friendly little toy poodle, she goes running up to a male stranger in the park, barking with excitement, If the person felt fearful of your dog, they can complain to the police and you could be prosecuted under the DDA for having a dog dangerously out of control in a public place.

If the report was that your dog was a pit bull type, the police have the powers to seize the dog, even if the dog was a pedigree Rhodesian ridgeback! the dog would then be assessed by an expert.

If it were me and the Police turned up on my doorstep I would show them the dog regardless of temperament, otherwise they may think you have something to hide and come back with a warrant, making matters worse.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I maybe wrong but all the information posted on here indicates that the Police can NOT take a dog away on the say so of an 'informer'
Sorry Losos but this isn't true. I'm not trying to scare monger, just think all dog owners should know the facts. I have and still am dealing with stray dogs that have been classed as pit types by the police because the dog warden has contacted them. Also hearing first hand from owners who have had their dogs seized. AND first hand from police officers who deal with enforcing the DDA. Police don't want to be going around seizing dogs and are unlikely to investigate a dog they see out and about, even if the dog looks blatantly like a pit bull However if they receive a complaint they will act on it. It is basically a case of act now ask questions later

I am confident that things Will calm down again but at the moment we could all do with being extra cautious.