Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annika
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Hello from the seaside!

Hi all,

New member here, joining because, after years of commuting to an office, I am now able to work 100% from home, which means I can finally start making practical moves towards bringing home a canine companion to round out our little 'family' (currently consisting of me and the two cats). I'm going on a breed walk in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Annika View Post
Hi all,

New member here, joining because, after years of commuting to an office, I am now able to work 100% from home, which means I can finally start making practical moves towards bringing home a canine companion to round out our little 'family' (currently consisting of me and the two cats). I'm going on a breed walk in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!
Welcome from me. Ours came from a rescue centre and has been an absolute gem.
Annika
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Thank you! I originally wanted to get a rescue doggie, but I've been on the local lists for two years now (out of curiosity you understand ), and so far only one dog has come up who was confirmed to be okay with cats and also suited for a relative novice owner (we had dogs when I was growing up, but this would be my first 'solo'), to say nothing of things like size, energy levels, etc. It's been a bit disheartening to tell you the truth, but perhaps once I have more experience (and cats who have grown used to biggish dogs) I will be able to do the same.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Welcome to Dogsey Rescue dogs quite often ('tho not always) don't get on with cats. It's a different situation if they've grown up together.

Rescue dogs are often insecure because a change of home is far more traumatic for a dog than it is for a human. So that insecurity shows in their behaviour to other animals.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Welcome to Dogsey Rescue dogs quite often ('tho not always) don't get on with cats. It's a different situation if they've grown up together.

Rescue dogs are often insecure because a change of home is far more traumatic for a dog than it is for a human. So that insecurity shows in their behaviour to other animals.
I'm sure you are right old chap.
Ours does OK........and the local cats know not to run from him. It's a stare down then we stroll on.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Hello and welcome from the seaside (east coast).

Good luck with your search for your perfect companion. Keep us up-dated with photo's when you finally get to bring your little bundle home - whenever that may be x
Annika
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks all!

Losos, that's exactly what I've found. I'm still hoping to be able to take on rescue dogs in the future, when I have more experience (not to mention physical space!), but for now I am confident that a puppy from a relatively 'beginner-friendly' breed would be best for all involved.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Welcome

Rescue is the best breed IMHO and some are cat friendly, sometimes you have to travel.

Which breed are you looking at?

BTW Lucky you working 100% from home - my dream job!
Annika
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Thanks! I have no issue travelling, but as I said, I've been on lists for two years and finding a dog which is both cat-friendly and suitable for a beginner seems to be virtually impossible, and that's before one takes other considerations like size, energy levels and suitability for my type of lifestyle into account. Believe me when I say I have given this a lot of thought, and I believe that getting a puppy from a reputable breeder is the best thing for everyone at this point in my life. In a few years, when I have some experience and the cats are used to dealing with dogs, I may consider adding a rescue to the family, but not now.

I'm looking at Eurasiers (again, after much research).
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Welcome to Dogsey