View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Does the kitchen have a door on it? Perhaps closing the door rather than a child gate may do the trick.

Have you gone back to basics with house training? Out at least once an hour and go with her to make sure she performs. Praise like crazy the right action, ignore any mistakes, but take her straight out as soon as you see her making them.

You're not in an ideal situation. She's left 9 hours during the day and then you sleep for 6-8 hours making a total of 15 to 17 hours where she has to amuse herself. No matter how tired you are, you should fill those remaining hours with as much stimulation as you can possibly give her
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2017, 10:36 PM
If we made assumptions they were based on the information you gave. I've had dogs and worked full time but they weren't crated, they could roam the house and although I'd occasionally come home to the odd wee on the floor it was no big deal as the floor was tiled. Tbh you need to be around to train a dog not to wee inside and if you're only around some of the time I don't see how you'll manage it. Even if she only pees at night you're asleep so still can't watch her. You could try dog incontinence pants with a incontinence pad in them to absorb the urine, it won't actually stop it but nor will your house stink. If you do decide to do that you'll need to thoroughly clean the floors in all rooms so there is no lingering odour to attract her.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2017, 10:50 PM
I don't know can you hope to house train an adult hound when you are out of the house for at least forty hours a week? Two years ago, I took on a six year old Beagle who had lived in a show kennel. I treated her as if she was a new puppy - outside after every meal, every sleep, every drink, every play session, but she still needed lots of observation in between. If I had worked full time, I'm guessing that she would still be unreliable, as many hound breeds can be notoriously slow in this department.
My advice would be to either to return home and spend your lunch break with her, (which is what happens in many full time working homes), or to secure some doggy daycare which is prepared to carry out this training. The way I see it, your only other alternative is to provide her with an outdoor kennel.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2