register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Did your rescue come with issues?
Yes, severe issues that have taken a while to work on.. 18 42.86%
Yes, but they were fairly easily resolved 13 30.95%
No, no problems 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Did your rescue come with issues...? Discuss!

Following from another thread -

If you have a rescue dog, did it have problems?

Seems that there is a lot of thought that most rescue dogs come with issues - so what have your experiences been?

Feel free to add the age when you got them, breed, any other info
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
IMO it seems that dogs end in rescue not just based on behavior. Lots of the time, circumstances change, people don't have the time, money, or knowledge to care for those dogs any longer.
I meet lots of rescues that have fantastic temperaments and some that are less sound..
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Good thread Wp - interested in seeing the results.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Layton - nope... dream dog, calm, sociable, disgustingly gorgeous - bit of a wonky recall where squirrels (and ducks) are concerned is all. People regularly comment on his good behaviour and manners - and this is an adult ex-stray pound dog so the ultimate in "damaged goods" to many.

As for how he ended up in rescue - despite his many talents (farting, food eating, farting, sofa hogging, farting, lying with his legs in the air like an undercover greyhound) - speaking isn't one of them, we just don't know. Was found by dog wardens roaming the streets in the middle of the first brutally cold snap of the year, never claimed and spent a month or two in rescue kennels till we fell for him. Think he was an intentional abandonment from an incident in a local park (the same district he was found in) where a kid started completely doing her nut shrieking that "look mummy that doggy looks just like X" and a very very very embarassed mummy moving very very quickly along (he's a very very distinctive looking dog)!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I said yes but were resolved when in fact they havent been resolved and i dont think they ever will be. Cassie came to us a very nervous dog and her body carried signs of abuse and being worked very hard. She was scared of most day to day objects esp cardboard and stick like objects (brooms, washing poles ect). She is much better now but still a nervous dog and still hates cardboard.

However its not a major thing and we just make sure she is safe from any lurcher killing objects. Having the northern Idiots has helped as well as neither of then are scared of things and she seems to take comfort in that
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
So the thread bashing rescue dogs gets to stay in general dog chat where the negatives get seen... but this gets hidden away in sub forums because god-forbid we point out there are other dogs than shopping for your next shiny new breed like it's a pair of shoes?

Sickening.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Benjie probably came with issues - but his new owners (in laws) didn't help much with them.

He was really bad when I met my OH, and him. And so far I have helped him not to chase bikes, lorries, people, he no longer pulls on the lead (for me and OH anyway - the others are far too lenient to do so - the dogmatic has helped though- just wish they'd loosen the lead and relax with him), he now sits at roads. He still has issues with other dogs and cats but again - it started to get better then circumstances changed.. He no longer (fingers crossed) barks, growls or jumps up children..

So I guess I helped in some ways..
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Yes - Dexter had quite a few issues. He had been dumped in the pound, we have no idea why. He was 13 months old when I brought him home.

The first month was, frankly, a bit of a nightmare. Nobody could show Dex any affection without risking being bitten or at the least, nipped. As for taking things away from him that he'd gotten hold of - forget it!

In addition, he jumped up at every single person we walked past, and pulled like mad on the lead.

He jumped at any sound louder than a pin being dropped and could not bear to be brushed.

He did not know any commands and had no recall.

He also lunged through fear and excitement at (this is not a full list):

other dogs
cats
horses
motorbikes
white vans
anyone carrying something large
the mere sight of an umbrella
any man carrying a newspaper
anyone sitting on the pavement
anyone who looked 'strange' to him.

The first night he spent with us, I cried myself to sleep as I felt I had possibly taken on a dog that I would not be able to cope with. As I had vowed to myself NEVER EVER to return any rescue dog, I was very anxious.

It has taken a year, and several months with a good trainer, but I can honestly say that Dexter's true nature is now here for all to see - he is THE most sweet, kind, mischevious dog that one could possibly hope to meet

He does still lunge when spooked or over-excited. So if I am walking him in a brand new, or very busy area, I still use a headcollar, as otherwise he can, and has, pulled me over.

He is still also very sensitive to sound and cannot cope at all with small, very vocal dogs - he actually hides from them at the park, bless him.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
So the thread bashing rescue dogs gets to stay in general dog chat where the negatives get seen... but this gets hidden away in sub forums because god-forbid we point out there are other dogs than shopping for your next shiny new breed like it's a pair of shoes?

Sickening.
No one was/is bashing rescue dogs.. they were simply saying why they felt they didn't need to feel guilty or why they did feel guilty for buying a puppy rather than rehoming a rescue.

A few of us even dared to go so far as to say why a rescue dog wouldn't be suitable - because of the policies certain rescues have and because as I believe Collie Convert said - you never really know the dog until you get home. In some cases - the dog ends up back in rescue because of this reason..
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I've had 4 rescue dogs. one was dog aggressive but that was pretty much resolved early on.
Harry our most recent rescue had some toy guarding issues and awful recall, took a few months of work but he now recalls and is pretty good off lead, he is better with his toys as well.
The other 2 did not come with any 'issues' at all.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »