View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 06:58 PM

Help, I sorta got a virus of some kind..

Hi

this past friday, I got some kind of thing - not a real virus, but it said I needed to put my windows Home eidtion service pack 2 cd in to do some changes.

When I open up an Internet page, it comes up with this: [Moderator edit. URL removed. Rules stipulate no links to other forums]

I usually has an american labradorsite as my homepage...

Well I only have SP1..

I tried to do a system restore then and now again.. I can't.. It will only highlight today's date, and I cant go back to october month...

I've done a scan with Ad Aware SE Personal and AVG and everything there were there is removed and erased..

But why cant I do a restore?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi J got this from microsoft site their is more info on there check it out you know what exactly happened there are other reasons why restore don't work. It could be that no system changes have been made thats why it's not doing anything.

URL sourse http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...store_faq.mspx

Q. What should i do if system restore does not work?

A. Try the following steps:

• Ensure the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running. For instructions on how to do this, see "How can I verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services are running on my machine?" in this section.

• Ensure the Task Scheduler is running. For instructions on how do to this, see "How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my machine?" in this section.

• Verify that you have enough free space on all your drives as required by System Restore. If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls below 50 MB, System Restore will suspend and purge out all restore points to free up disk space. It will automatically reactivate when 200 MB+ free space is available.

• Examine event logs for any system restore-related errors that could help you identify the problem
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Ta Marie

Will give it a go.

I'm so tired of computers

J
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Ta Marie

Will give it a go.

I'm so tired of computers

J

Oh I know how you feel Jeanette - I felt like that the other day when I messed up my daughters computer trying to encrypt it. I had to do a complete recovery and lost all her music and pictures

I had the problem that you are having now with my old computer (well it was only just over 12 months old at the time) System restore wouldn't go back any further than the current month and then a bit later I think it went completely and it wouldn't let us in at all - it wouldn't go past the windows loading up bit. We took it into the computer shop and he had to wipe it completely and then he put the programmes back on again, although now I have learned I could have done this myself
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Its soo annoying..

The problem is, I dont have the XP cd...

It was already on the computer when I bought it..

So I cant really erase everything
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 08:42 AM
www.mepis.com provided the operating system I'm using at the moment. I've still got Windows 98se on another partition, but haven't booted it up in over a week! Linux has been up non stop (No reboots) for the whole time! Longest time between reboots to prevent hanging with Win98 was about 2 days! I love it!

OK, so it's billed as suitable to replace Windows, but you do, in reality, need to know a fair bit about PCs and not be scared to get stuck in changing things to get it all to work how you want. But, I expected that and am quite happy to tinker. If I had to do the same amount of messing with Windows, I'd be furious! I'd expect Windows to work as it's supposed to do, straight outta the box for what you have to pay. As I paid about £2.50 for Mepis (Cost of CD and postage, ebay.) I'm more than happy to tweak things. There are sooooo many websites full of advise etc.

Things I've had to do so far are things like install an ethernet card to get connected to my router for the internet. Was previously using USB, but that's not really supported... Also had to edit a system file to get a flash drive working.

I'd have thought Linux would be your national O/S anyway, J. Isn't Linus Torvalds Danish?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Rich

I'm sorry but all that you wrote there, just went past me...

I have no idea if Linus is danish.. *whispers* what is Linus??? An operative system like windows?

J
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 09:46 AM
He he, yeah sorry, that was me in full geek mode!

Linux is an operating system, initially designed by a fella from Finland (Well, I wasn't too far off!) called Linus Torvalds. It is really for geeks only, or if you plan to use it make sure you have a tame geek on hand to administer it for you.

BTW, I haven't got a clue about XP. Sorry!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Its soo annoying..

The problem is, I dont have the XP cd...

It was already on the computer when I bought it..

So I cant really erase everything

Hi Jeanette

The older computer had a recovery CD with it but the newer ones now are ones that are just built in the computer and you get to it by pressing F10 when the computer is starting up at first. Have you got your users manual because mine which is a Packard Bell computer has a bit at the back of the users manual that tells you how to take it back to factory settings. You can either do a partial recovery or a full recovery (which wipes all your photos, emails, music off so be careful to copy these first if you want to save them)

How old is your computer?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by rich c
He he, yeah sorry, that was me in full geek mode!

Linux is an operating system, initially designed by a fella from Finland (Well, I wasn't too far off!) called Linus Torvalds. It is really for geeks only, or if you plan to use it make sure you have a tame geek on hand to administer it for you.

BTW, I haven't got a clue about XP. Sorry!
:smt042 :smt042 :smt042 sorry no geeks available

Ta for trying

J
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >