Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JV107
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2017, 03:27 AM

Nipping/Biting

When our dog wants to play he always wants to latch onto my significant other's arms, ears, or fingers and bite them. Even if we are just sitting on the couch he will come up and go after the arms or hands. He sometimes does it with me but definitely more with my significant other. We have tried telling him no and putting him in a time out and smacking his butt, but nothing seems to be working. I am just worried it will grow into unacceptable behavior if this doesn't get solved soon. Any advice?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Is he a puppy?
How long have you had him?
Puppies generally learn bite inhibition from their mum and siblings but they still try it on when they first come home. I find the easiest way to deal with it is to put something more acceptable in their mouth. Something like a chew toy or a soft toy. Just keep replacing body parts with toys. I find "Oi" works better than no tbh.
JV107
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2017, 01:05 PM
He is 10 months old. We have had him for 6 months. He was not trained at all when we first got him. He has plenty of chew toys to chew on but prefers human contact
JV107
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Is he a puppy?
How long have you had him?
Puppies generally learn bite inhibition from their mum and siblings but they still try it on when they first come home. I find the easiest way to deal with it is to put something more acceptable in their mouth. Something like a chew toy or a soft toy. Just keep replacing body parts with toys. I find "Oi" works better than no tbh.
He is 10 months old. We have had him for 6 months. He was not trained at all when we first got him. He has plenty of chew toys to chew on but prefers human contact
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Yes the point is when he chews on a person you substitute a chew toy for whichever part of the body he's decided to chew on. They all prefer human contact that's normal. I took on two rehomes at Christmas time, one was two and one 9 months, neither knew any commands at all but they pick them up very quickly once you start teaching them. Just be consistent, it works. You got him at 4 months he was a baby you just didn't stop the unwanted behaviours but it's not too late.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2017, 10:32 PM
When we had our first puppy he tried this nipping and running away thing. We took him to dog training and and our dog tried the same on the trainer. If one agrees or not the trainer with the flat of his open hand shut his mouth from under the chin fairly sharply. Our dog only tried it once more with the same result, he never ever attempted to nip again

This was way back on the early 1970's and methods have changed since then and I can't say I would approve of this now, but things were different back then.
JV107
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2017, 01:55 PM
They said to try pinching his cheeks and sticking my thumb in his mouth and pressing on the bottom but he always gets away thinking it's a game
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2017, 02:23 PM
The quickest way to escalate the behaviour is to smack. cheek pinch etc. As you have seen, your dog thinks this is just part of the game.

Have you tried ignoring him? If he is persistent, if need be walk out of the room every time he even looks like starting the behaviour. If you are very good at reading his body language, you could try starting a game before he gets to the mouthing part and direct the unwanted behaviour onto wanted behaviour.

It sounds to me like he found something that worked and it's now become a habit. Break that habit and he should find more acceptable ways to interact
JV107
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
When we had our first puppy he tried this nipping and running away thing. We took him to dog training and and our dog tried the same on the trainer. If one agrees or not the trainer with the flat of his open hand shut his mouth from under the chin fairly sharply. Our dog only tried it once more with the same result, he never ever attempted to nip again

This was way back on the early 1970's and methods have changed since then and I can't say I would approve of this now, but things were different back then.
My vet said when he bites to press our thumb on his bottom has but he takes it likes it a game
JV107
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2017, 08:28 PM
He was all energetic last night and he kept biting my bf and he walked out of the room but our pup kept following him and when we closed the door he kept clawing the door
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >