Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2012, 06:09 PM

1st bumblebee of the year...

and Willow ate it.

I saw her pawing at something, walked over for a look and saw it was a nice plump bumble. She saw me coming and took off round the garden with her prize in her mouth, and when I finally caught her, she went CHOMP and swallowed.

One panicked phone call to the vet later, and apparently this is normal behaviour for some dogs and rarely a problem. (There are lots of bee and wasp eating nutters out there??) So one tab of chlorphenamine, and keep a close watch for an hour or so just in case.

Why on earth would a bumblebee look tasty?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 06:44 PM
You poor thing - what a worry! I do sympathise as one of mine had a real thing about eating anything with wings that stopped near enough to be pounced on It also terrified me and I was convinced that he was going to die from a swollen throat

What is chlorphenamine and did you get it from the vets? I think maybe I should keep a few tabs here in case he decides to snack on them again this spring/summer?
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
What is chlorphenamine and did you get it from the vets? I think maybe I should keep a few tabs here in case he decides to snack on them again this spring/summer?
Chlorphenamine is sold as piriton for humans, its just an anti-histamine - enough to slow down a reaction and give us time to get to the vet if her throat swelled up. I have it on prescription for me from the doc, but it is an over-the-counter medicine.

No reaction so far, and the lunatic is presently racing around the garden trying to catch a blackbird. Keep her quiet said the vet - I bet he's never had a year old springer spaniel, they don't do quiet.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for that. I'll buy some for the 'just in case moments'!! A friend of mine has a 4 year old springer who never stops - good luck and lets hope she doesn't catch any more of the flying variety of treats
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh dear-Izzy found one the other day too and was pouncing on it! Jamie grabbed it away from her.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Oh don't worry, Cleo our old GSD used to chase Bumbles round the garden and chomp them regularly. I think she was immune in the end cause she never seemed to be bothered by bee stings.

Mind you, she was mad
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 11:29 PM
We had one in the kitchen today....thankfully after the mad dash to get it.....I caught it and popped it back outside.

Such a worry when dogs decided they are a tasty treat
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Oscar my Chi is always getting stung, the first time we could see the sting just under his nose but he wouldn't let us near him to get it out, we just left him (sounds terrible) the sting came out within an hour and he was fine though we were on hand to rush him to the vets. That was 3 years ago he's not been near any for a couple of years but I caught him chasing one around the garden the other day, we have loads this year so I'm going to have to keep my eye on him when he's out on the garden.