Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mommasoul
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Cyst on Head Growing and Bleeding

Hi,

I have a 14 year old Westie (Tiger) who is in great health. Maybe six months ago I noticed a tiny bump on his head (flesh-colored) and, when it got a little larger and started to bleed when it was aggravated, I took him in to the vet. The vet did a biopsy and let me know that it was not cancerous. (I believe it's a "lipoma" and it's filled with fat/fatty tissue. It doesn't seem to be drain-able though.) The vet also informed me that they didn't see the point in removing it unless it was bothering Tiger. Well, over time it has gotten much larger. It sorta resembles a brain (ew, gross, I know) in that there are little bumps in it (not smooth) and it's now probably close to the size of a nickel. Only thing is ... it is often scabbing and bleeding and I can tell it's starting to bother him (he's looking up to try and see what it is) and we're in this vicious cycle of: it scabs, i gently remove the scab, i put neosporin on it, it bleeds, it scabs, etc. etc. I would get it removed but the vet told me that 1) they'd have to put Tiger under anesthesia (which is risky for a dog his age) and 2) it costs $600. Does anyone have any pointers? I keep wishing there was a homemade cure for this... Thanks, in advance, for your help!

PS. Does anyone know if I can insert an image as an attachment? This only appears to post images that are URL links.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
There seems only one way you can go and that is as advised by your vet.