Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Wind

Pepsi has got the most dreadful wind, worse than anything I have known in a dog before.
When we took her on she had very sloppy poo. When we talked to the vet about it he suggested Chappie which I was happy with because we have fed dogs Chappie before and been ok with it. She has been on Chappie for 5 weeks now and her poo is good.
Buuuuut it's the wind!
As I have said before she eats grass for a pass time (Hubby says if he had wanted a cow, he would have bought a cow!) and her tummy gurgles a lot.
Any ideas folks? What would you feed a 10 year old, active, 9kg JRT. Is dry a good idea or keep her on wet? Hubby isn't keen on raw.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Wind is caused 99.99% of the time by grain as the only way grain/cereal can be metabolised is by bacteria in the lower gut, which is what causes the wind.

So my advice to you is to convert to a food that contains no grain ie one with potato INSTEAD of cereal.

So good such as:
Any brand that says X with potato (check label does not contain grains)
JWB has a grain free variety
Applaws
Orijen

JWB is the cheapest, Orijen is the most expensive.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I can definately recommend Orijen Ozzy used to be a terrible grass eater but since switching to Orijen he has stopped completely.

It seems expensive but a little goes a long way, especially with small dogs, so when you work out how much they actually need to eat I find it is well worth the money

Oh and no wind
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks Smokeybear, that gives me a good starting point.
Does dry food cause more wind?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Usually because the majority of dry food is at least 50% cereal unless that has been replaced by potato.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Ah thank you for this thread and thank you smokey for the answer

I moved Delilah over to CSJ from JWB because of the price and also i had heard rave reviews but her wind is UNBEARABLE - even she cannot bear the smell and covers her nose with her paws

I have got a bag of JWB and am slowly moving her back on to it...

Not going to mess with the food again!

good luck with your food change!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Oh I can sympathise Jenny, I well remember Max's chappie wind!! It was recommended by our vet as Max was prone to stomach upsets and they advised that as chappie was quite a bland food it might suit him better. Well, I've never smelt anything quite like it he couldn't stay on that and we ended up changing him over to burns. The occasional wind that he gets now is nothing like what chappie did to him.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks folks

We have made the decision to change her over to dried food. The question now is which.
A bit of market research is needed
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I can imagine how bad it is Scoop had Chappie for nearly three years, fetid wind n didn't sort stomach probs think it was the grains. Since changing her diet it's stopped completely
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
I can imagine how bad it is Scoop had Chappie for nearly three years, fetid wind n didn't sort stomach probs think it was the grains. Since changing her diet it's stopped completely
Good, which one do you use now?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >