View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Sheena - charming wellbehaved older collie X (Oldies Club)

Sheena is a bright, healthy 11 year old Collie X - she is used to a quiet life and was a little nervous of men to begin with, but is blossoming in foster care and enjoying having doggy company. Looks like she will be OK with cats too, if carefully introduced!

Sheena enjoys her walks, likes a good fuss, and is still quite an active dog. She is well behaved, intelligent, and fully housetrained.

Unfortunately her previous owner had a stroke and is unable to return home so Sheena is now with an Oldies Club fosterer while she looks for a new home.

Sheena is OK when left for 5 hours or so, but ideally would prefer not tobe left for quite so long! At present she is a little overweight. She hasn’t been groomed as much as she could have been and as she doesn’t like long brushing sessions, it’s important that her new owners give her a regular once-over with the brush!

She has a little lump on the back of one of her front legs. This is due to her lying on hard surfaces. Her foster mum is treating it with vaseline, and it should not be a problem.

Sheena’s fosterer says
” We have now had her for 11 days. It was obvious from the start that she was used to a quiet life with her mum.

She wasn’t used to men so was scared of my husband at first. She completely ignored my 2 dogs on arrival and hid behind a chair in the living room frightened. We couldn’t coax her at all so had to leave her to come to us in her own time.

At first I thought she would need to go to a home with a lady on her own with no other animals but she has done herself proud. We now have a happy little lady, who loves the companionship of us and our 2 dogs. She plays with them a lot. When we go to bed at night or if we go out she insists on staying with them in the living room. She still goes behind the chair for short periods but instead of it being a place of safety it is now somewhere to go to have a sneaky snooze.

Sheena is a joy to live with and is no trouble at all. She is completely housetrained. Will ask to go out. She talks to us at times if she wants something.

She is obedient and is used to being talked to as she knows a lot of what we’re saying to her.
She likes a fuss and a tickle. She would ideally like to go to a home where someone is home most of the day. I work 5 hour days and she is good when left.

She likes to potter around the garden and isn’t bothered by the cold weather. Although she wouldn’t be with her thick fur coat! I have shown her a cat and she completely ignored it. ”

She is having a dental under anaesthetic next Friday 2nd December. We think she will need at least one tooth extracting. She won’t be ready to go to a new home until she has recovered from that, but if you would like to know more, please do get in touch!

If you are interested in meeting Sheena, please call Kelly on 01692 598982 or email: rehome@oldies.org.uk. Sheena can be homed anywhere in the UK subject to a satisfactory home check, and is currently in a foster home in Warrington.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:20 PM
aww shes beautiful i really do hope she finds a really good loving home she deserves it good luck sheena
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 01:05 AM
She sounds like an amazing dog. What a beautiful smile. It is so sad about her owner, poor Sheena must not know what's going on
I hope things go ok with her teeth and that she finds a loving home. All these oldies really make me sad
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Sheena is gorgeous :smt049

fingers crossed a forever home comes soon
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
She sounds like an amazing dog. What a beautiful smile. It is so sad about her owner, poor Sheena must not know what's going on
I hope things go ok with her teeth and that she finds a loving home. All these oldies really make me sad
From what her fosterer tells me, she was kind of sad and confused to start with, but to be honest, she now seems to be having the time of her life.

She's staying with 2 very bouncy cheery Vizslas - now she's got used to them they seem to be perfect companions for her. There is a Spinone arriving there too shortly, so I imagine there is going to be some pretty energetic dog playing going on - I don't think Sheena's ever had such an active social life!

I have been amazed by how well older dogs can adapt to new homes since I've been involved with the Oldies Club. We think our dogs will sit and pine for us or have problems with change when they are elderly - but that stage really doesn't seem to last more than a couple of days for most of them.

I guess dogs live for the moment!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm glad that she is enjoying life, that's really nice to hear. I hope she finds somewhere permanent soon though