Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Fostering Rabbits

Hi

Does anyone do this or know anything about it to help me on my way?

I have enquired by emailing the RSPCA that I would love to start fostering bunnies. They said they would get back to me soon in the response email and 3 weeks later nothing.

We have thwo hutches not in use one not in fantastic condition. And a brand new one. We have lots of time two. Our rabbits are indoors with us as soon as we get home and tnen just before we go to bed they go back into there hutches in the garage. When its warm they are outside all the time in there runs excpet at night and cuddle times.

We have two mini lops. After much debating we have decided not to breed the two mini after all after two mating with no pregnancy. So we have decided that this is fate telling us that its not the right thing for us to do. Also I felt to guilty as I knew fostering was a much better thing to do.

I live in Gloucester and we have alot of garden space for runs. We have one run at the moment that we have converted to two untill mini's have been neutered. I also have a cross that lives with my parents that I look after at the moment as they are away.

I have alot of experience with rabbits tame and untame. We have had a few neglated rabbits in the pass that friends don't want that had not been handled. Also we have rescued rabbits before.

I hope that you all can help me. It is something I really want to commit myself to doing. We could only foster one or two at a time as I don't want to neglect them I want to share my time with all of them.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi
Firstly, I think the best thing you can do is to neuter the rabbits you have, so to avoid the possibility of breeding in the future. (you don't want to be over-run with them all do you?)
personally I can't really help you as each Rescue Organisation has different policies regarding fostering. Perhaps you could contact your local organisation and tell them of your interest. But here's a few things you may want to ask:

do they homecheck? If so, who carries out that check.
Are the foster rabbits vaccinated prior to fostering and adoption?
Will food, vet bills etc be covered by the organisation for the foster animals?
Will the animals be neutered prior to fostering/re homing?
Do they have an anti-breeding policy?
What happens if the animal isn't suitable in its new home and the animal needs to be returned?
Do they rehome rabbits in singles or in pairs?

Hope this helps a little.
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 10:41 AM
There is a huge problem with large numbers of rabbits in rescue, so don't give up! Someone will really appreciate your services.

If you still haven't had an answer from the RSPCA, personally I'd phone them. Try smaller small-animal rescues too.

Agree with Cumbrian Lass about the neutering of your own rabbits - rabbits are really prone to diseases of the reproductive organs as they get older, so nowadays most vets recommend neutering - Pyometra is a real menace for bunnies once they are over 5, and they can easily live 8-10 years if they are spayed.

If you've looked into this in the past, there are new drugs and techniques now which mean it really is pretty much as routine as it would be for dogs or cats, and it also helps with that 'bunny strop' thing they get - my neutered rabbits are much more even-tempered!
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have booked them both in for after christmas, thanks for the advice will keep you updated on any progress. I am very ill at the moment so won't be able to do anything just yet untill I am alot better.
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh dear - hope you feel better soon. Perhaps just as well not to have to settle in new foster buns if you aren't feeling good at the mo.

Glad to hear your bunnies will be losing their 'bits' in the New Year!
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I am on the mend so will really look seriously at fostering in the new year !
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi just been reading lots of bits. Is there a desperate need for foster homes at the moment. I am being given a hutch this weekend and have one spare at the moment. I hear some places supply hutches. I am feeling a lot better and from the 16th of DEc will be home all the time. Is there a desperate need fore space?
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Depends on your area - best thing is give your local RSPCA or small furry rescue a ring to find out.

There is a big problem with myxi this year, so you might want to check your buns are up to date on jabs first.