Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 02:27 AM

chickens

cross-posted from a poultry forum
Anyone in Scotland interested in some FREE yes FREE brown hybrids? Go on, you know you could squeeze in a few more! Yes you can, you know it makes sense.

The nursery my son goes to is giving up and they only got this lot in either March or May this year. I have managed to rehome 30 (I rehomed eight and a half dozen of the last lot and I have now managed to overstock everyone I know!) of this lot but another 270 to go!! Please, or else they will be going to that great henhouse in the sky!

Just let me know and we can arrange a pick up. They are in Central Scotland just outside Linlithgow.

Anyone that can help to offer any of these girls a home please let me know or they will be culled ,I will be taking some but cant take them all
they are good laying hens and are only going on a year old
please anyone help keep some of these girls alive ,they make great pets and lay nice eggs most days

let me know if anyone can help
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 06:03 PM
That is a lot of chickens

Are they ex battery hens?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I dont think they have been kept in a battery farm ,but they are the same hybrid type of chickens that are used in battery farms
the place has decided they no longer want to keep chickens so they will all be culled unless they can find homes
I'm going to take 10 ,I've got so many chickens anyway so a few more wont make much more difference
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw
I dont think they have been kept in a battery farm ,but they are the same hybrid type of chickens that are used in battery farms
the place has decided they no longer want to keep chickens so they will all be culled unless they can find homes
I'm going to take 10 ,I've got so many chickens anyway so a few more wont make much more difference
I wish I could rescue just 1 of them, but sadly if one of my dogs didn't kill them, then the horrid Juvenile delinquents in the area surely would

There is a registered charity down south that takes chickens. Have they been made aware of these chickens?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I dont think the charity has been told about them ,but with distance I doubt they could help
Hopefully we can find homes for most of them ,I'm not sure how long they have to be rehomed ,Sally who made the original post will find out on Monday
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Right I don't if this is any good but I have found this on an old Paws4Rescue maginze.

Hen Heaven
Squirrels Farm
Stonepit Lane
West Sussex
07754 550 193

Hen heaven rescues hens & keeps them in free range conditions for the rest of their lifes.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 08:27 PM
i wish i could take some more but they are just too far away from us

our ex battery hens are lovely
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Well I picked up my girls today ,the poor things are skin and bone
Apparently since the guy decided to get rid of the chickens he hasnt fed them and has just left them totally lose for the fox to help its self too
Out of the orignal 300 the 2 rescuers think the fox killed about half of them with bodies left lying around
there is around 20-30 still there but should be rescued within the next few days and have homes waiting
I ended up taking 11
here is a picture of them getting stuck into some food soon after getting here
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw
Well I picked up my girls today ,the poor things are skin and bone
Apparently since the guy decided to get rid of the chickens he hasnt fed them and has just left them totally lose for the fox to help its self too
Out of the orignal 300 the 2 rescuers think the fox killed about half of them with bodies left lying around
there is around 20-30 still there but should be rescued within the next few days and have homes waiting
I ended up taking 11
here is a picture of them getting stuck into some food soon after getting here
Well Done JP I'm sure you will be nursing them back to health in no time...

That guy needs educating on animal cruelty. Have you contacted the RSPCA regarding the lack of food?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I dont actually know the exact address of the guy ,I was told how bad it was from Sally and her friend who went there to get the hens out
even if the SSPCA were contacted I doubt they would do much prob just tell the guy to hurry up and cull them After all look what they allow in broiler farms and battery ones
Still a few of us Scottish members from the poultry forum got together to offer these girls a home and today alot of these gorgeous girls lifes were saved