Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Help needed

Hello Guys,

I need your help, and fast

I work as a carer, i regularly see a lady with some health issues (severe) who has 5 chihuahua's. I have a close working relasionship with this lady who i am very fond of. She adores her dogs and takes the best care of them. She never had children - her dogs are her babies.

I have recently found out that 2 other members of staff had been to see this lady and helped her to mate 2 of her dogs , now i had spent months trying to discourage this and had more or less managed to talk her out of breeding - when these 2 other carers mated her dogs, of course with her consent.
I am absolutly disgusted by the stupidity of these people, and they have been reported to a senior.
Her dog is without doubt pregnant, tonight i have worked out that the pups will be due on about the 25th Oct.

This lady will be devastated if anything happens to any of her dogs, is seriously worried about what could happen (i'm afraid i have put my two pence worth in!). I have told her that i will help her. I also broke work rules by giving her my phone number.
I am seriously concerned right now, the pregnant dog is just under 18 months old, which in my book is not old enough (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Right now i am full of what if's and why's.

Oh and just for the record, those of you who know the situation regarding my latest eddition (bailey, the choc lab), the person who we had him from( where he was caged for hours day and night), is one of the carers who mated her dog. I am beyond disgusted.

Please can someone calm me.............
I don't know what to do.................................
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Well done for helping the lady - what were those other carers thinking? They'll help her mate her dogs for the hell of it, but will they be around 24-7 to help her with the pups? I, like you, think it's very irresponsible of them. I'm afraid I have no advice, but you definitely did the right thing by telling your superiors - it's them that should be in trouble, not you for giving the lady your phone number. Good luck, and I really hope the dogs are OK.
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2009, 09:08 PM
nowt as funny or stupid as folk grrrrr.... console youself that at least you will be abl to give help and advice when these puppies arrive
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Well done for helping the lady - what were those other carers thinking? They'll help her mate her dogs for the hell of it, but will they be around 24-7 to help her with the pups? I, like you, think it's very irresponsible of them. I'm afraid I have no advice, but you definitely did the right thing by telling your superiors - it's them that should be in trouble, not you for giving the lady your phone number. Good luck, and I really hope the dogs are OK.
Thank you, i really am very emotional over the whole thing. But i have told this lady that i will be there for her, and thats what i will do. I told her she can ring me if she feels that she needs me.
I just hope to god that her dog is a good mum and doesn't disown the pups due to being so young and not knowing what to do. If i have to bring a box of pups home and hand feed them every 2 hours - then so be it, i will. I also told her that i will advertise the pups once we know how many there are and i personally will do the home checks.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by annmarie View Post
nowt as funny or stupid as folk grrrrr.... console youself that at least you will be abl to give help and advice when these puppies arrive
I will do just that. I have no idea what they were thinking. This lady is without question barely able to look after herself (hence why she has a team of carers), let alone 5 dogs and a litter of pups.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 12:41 AM
thats lovely you are helping so much. and what idiots those carers are! why did they want to mate her?
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2009, 05:29 AM
I should have thought that if she is in a position where she needs a team of carers that 5 dogs was quite enough without a litter of puppies too.

Good on you for being there to help out and for offering to do the home checks etc for her. I just hope the birth goes well and the mum and pups are all ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 05:39 AM
I really don't know what this poor lady would do without you, Mel. What I cannot understand is her consent to the mating.......

I'm not surprised you are hurt, angry and upset.

Good on you for reporting the numpties that assisted in this - I hope they get what's due to them

Hugs hon xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Okay can see why you would be steaming beyond belief, one thing is the damage has been done, yes as stupid as the whole thing is and the people that helped her do this are as they say what is done is done and surely if you broke the rules by giving her your number, did they not by doing this??? I don't know when carers should help with impregnating a clients dog ever????
If anything happens it is not your fault and if I were the others that helped should be s***ing themselves as I have no doubt this lady will not be happy if something does happen to her dog (god, forbid)
You are basically being more than responsible and you are doing it not because you agree with it or really want anything to do with it but because you care and that makes you special.
Sorry don't know if that helps much but know you can't stop people being stupid as much as we would all like to.
Emma
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 09:04 AM
What a nightmare!!!

I googled the Chihuhua breed club to see the code of ethics and min. age for mating - this is 12 months - I think in the smaller breeds they mature quicker? So wanted to perhaps put your mind at rest on her age.

I just hope that she has no issues - it lo

http://www.the-british-chihuahua-clu.../BCC_Rules.php

I also googled breeding issues and here is a cut and paste on some of the issues.

It sounds like they are a difficult breed with regards breeding and puppy raising. Not to be undertaken by the inexperienced at all - so this is crazy that these 'carers' have taken this upon themselves for this lady who quite clearly will not be able to do this - at least she has you Mel but its not going to be easy.

Chihuahuas often bear more than one pup, and sometimes they cannot carry all of them to term, which means during labour or even birth, their body might even reject any one of their pups which do not fit into their biological capacities. Also, Chihuahuas are known for killing or eating pups they do not recognise, so ensure that when they do go for sedation for their C-section procedure, they need to be awoken immediately after, so that they may recognise their pups and not do anything drastic to them.

As for health concerns, you need to know that these small dogs suffer from protein, calcium and mineral loss throughout their pregnancies, which could lead to issues like seizures of even death. You need to bring them to a very regularly because oral tabs to not work for them, they need to get calcium and vitamin shots, and this includes the pups as well.

Fading puppy syndrome is another big, big issue when it comes to Chihuahua breeding. No one really knows why this happens, but sometimes a puppy will just stop eating and lay barking in the corner, initially dying. For now, there is no way to avoid this problem as it seems a natural progression of some advanced form of natural selection. But you need to note this when raising them. These are some of the important things to note when taking on Chihuahua breeding, and while this is not a discouragement, it is meant to prepare any breeder for the complications that might come along.

I hope everything goes ok.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »