Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
you can buy a product called paw wax which is great for stopping them getting sore feet and ice forming, it also helps protect them from the rock salt thats spread about, it also helps give them a bit of grip on slippery roads believe it or not.

rock salt can do damage to dogs feet, it can nip and burn, so even if you use paw wax and defo if you dont, give your dogs feet a quick clean when you come in

I always keep some handy.

http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH9710
What am I talking about trying Vaseline for...I've got that paw wax in the drawer! Stupid me!

Funnily enough, Shona. Molly and Roxy love the snow and have been out playing in it, but when I went to take them around the block for a quickie earlier on tonight Molly got so far along the far pavement and stopped, lifting her paws. I presumed it was the snow balls on her feet so I cleaned them off and still she didn't want to walk! Not like her.

So, I picked her up and was going to carry her round (no, it's something I make a habit of!) as Roxy likes to do her 'official' business on a walk and then Roxy started lifting her paws up and looking at them, and looking me. I just turned back and took them both home and wondered why they were bothering about the snow when they hadn't done before. Only Molly stops when the snowball legs get too much!

Now I'm thinkin back, the pavements were gritted, so maybe it was that that was hurting their paws. Must've been that as they were both bothered about the same time! Didn't think of that at the time.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
What am I talking about trying Vaseline for...I've got that paw wax in the drawer! Stupid me!

Funnily enough, Shona. Molly and Roxy love the snow and have been out playing in it, but when I went to take them around the block for a quickie earlier on tonight Molly got so far along the far pavement and stopped, lifting her paws. I presumed it was the snow balls on her feet so I cleaned them off and still she didn't want to walk! Not like her.

So, I picked her up and was going to carry her round (no, it's something I make a habit of!) as Roxy likes to do her 'official' business on a walk and then Roxy started lifting her paws up and looking at them, and looking me. I just turned back and took them both home and wondered why they were bothering about the snow when they hadn't done before. Only Molly stops when the snowball legs get too much!

Now I'm thinkin back, the pavements were gritted, so maybe it was that that was hurting their paws. Must've been that as they were both bothered about the same time! Didn't think of that at the time.
ah rock salts horrid stuff,
great for getting rid of ice and snow, but not so nice on the tooties...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
ah rock salts horrid stuff,
great for getting rid of ice and snow, but not so nice on the tooties...
They both looked really uncomfortable within a few minutes, which I thought strange as they usually don't bother.

I think Molly thought it was great that she was about to be carried round while Roxy had to suffer it.

Thanks for that. I now think that's what it probably was and I'll know to avoid it in future.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:46 PM
try not to let them lick at there feet if they do get rock salt on them,

I wouldnt have thought it would be good for there mouth or tummy if they get a lot of that in there,

there are chemicals added to rock salt, Im not sure which ones, but Im guessing they are not good for dogs mouths or tummys,
As soon as I get a moment I will google it and see what I can come up with x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Shady never seems to feel the cold on her feet or anywhere, in fact she seems to positively love it. Its the heat she hates.
Kyiro on the other hand does get cold feet and hates the snow, he can't wait for it all to go. (just like me really)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Upto now I have never had a BC that is bothered by cold feet.
Mind, poor Pappi (sons JRT) being so tiny has problems with a cold belly first thing she does when we get back in weather like this, roll over on your lap for you to ''belly rub warm please''
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I think Tilly's were hurting in the snow - she limped a few times & also had ice cubes formed between her toes
big paul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
I don't know what a musher is - Is it good or bad !!
He/she is the person on the back of a dog sledge team(the driver if you like)
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Pepsi doesnt seem bothered by the snow but she did look rather worried when snow balls formed on her feet the other day when playing. I had to put her paw in my hand to melt them lol. After that tho she was fine.

Good tip about the paw wax, ive seen it a few times but wasnt sure if it were good or not
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3