View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 10:02 PM
One thing that used to get us, was that motorbike riders used to all wear black, I know we should all have a choice of what colour to wear but, if you are on a dark bike and wearing dark clothing, you can be missed.

Ian
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:13 PM
If anyone had seen this programme on cable a couple of weeks ago about a biker who was speeding along, he lost both his arms and one of his legs the pics of what was left of his arms was horrendous i have never seen anything like it, my bro in law died after coming off a bike apparentley broke his spine in half.

My advice buy a car.

mandie

mandie
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Sorry Archer i didn't mean any offence. I don't dislike bikes but like you say there are good and bad bikers as there are car drivers and dog owners etc. As Inca said in her original post about a girl in a strappy dress.....i class that as very risky but obviously not protective jackets and jeans.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Well I am a total biker chic.....I lurve my motorbike, my other half has a Suzuki GZX 1400 and I have Suzuki GSF600.....

I would not go out in anything other that full bike gear and it is law in this country to wear a skid lid (helmet).......

Kenny (OH) does not even like when I wear my jeans....I only do this if out for an short trip...(so does he..cheeky beggar)

My trousers are black with reflective running strips down the back of the legs and across the knees and down....My jacket is Royal blue and balc with loads of reflective bits.

We also run with out lights on all the time so that people have NO excuse to say they never saw us!........does not always work though...
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
I am totally amazed at work today I saw so many people on motorbikes wearing T shirts and shorts....and one passenger in a thin strappy dress
now I know bike gear is hot when they stop but for god sake don't they realise they have no protection if they have an accident ........

are they stupid or am i just old.lol
Hard to be a bad ass on a bike with all safety gear on wouldnt you say

IMO safety comes first, so no need to post more is there
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Vix
Sorry Archer i didn't mean any offence. I don't dislike bikes but like you say there are good and bad bikers as there are car drivers and dog owners etc. As Inca said in her original post about a girl in a strappy dress.....i class that as very risky but obviously not protective jackets and jeans.

Thats ok Vix....we are the same as you...its scary when you see these idiots without sufficient clothing on.Did you know that most accidents on bikes are either youngsters or middle aged men who want to revive their youth and go out and buy a powerful sports bike without having had much experience?
We all know its dangerous....we all know the chances of surviving if in a collision are much less than if you're in a car.But its not just a hobby to many of us...its our lives.My OH is what most people would expect to see if you said 'biker'....tatoos,beard,mohican(alterates with a shaved head when he gets bored).He lives and breathes bikes...he hopes when his time is up it comes when riding(with no one else involved obviously) but I pray thats not for many years
It must be hard for some people to understand....can't explain the feeling or the passion....
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 09:16 AM
We have had motorbikes for going on 25-30 years never been without one, hubby is into them big style and does track days etc, he has NEVER gone on one of his bikes with out full protection, it drives us mad when we see lads on bikes with tee shirts and jeans, it makes my skin curl thinking the damage they could do should they come off, even going slow and coming off with no protection the friction burns on bare skin is horrendous, and can take forever to heal.

Mo
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by backtothetop
If anyone had seen this programme on cable a couple of weeks ago about a biker who was speeding along, he lost both his arms and one of his legs the pics of what was left of his arms was horrendous i have never seen anything like it, my bro in law died after coming off a bike apparentley broke his spine in half.

My advice buy a car.

mandie

mandie
Thing is though you could say that about everything in life. Everything is risky to a point but if you take the right precautions then that risk is lessened. If you ride at a very fast speed with few clothes on then you're bound to get yourself into trouble. I have a car but can't wait to qualify so I can get my bike license, I know the risks and so do my family but as long as I'm careful then they're fine with that!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 03:29 PM
We've been riding bikes for years but I wouldn't go out this weekend as it was so hot I couldn't stand the thought of leathers and wouldn't go out in just a t-shirt.
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh i agree, and if the right protective clothing is worn then injuries are hopefully not so bad, i must admit i have a very negative view of riding mototr bikes, not because of the bikes themselves but the way some people drive cars who are not as observant as they should be, if one of my kids went out on the back of a bike i would be worried to death until they arrived back safely, just how i am i suppose, a born worrier, good luck with getting your licence and safe and happy riding when you do get it.

mandie
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >