Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:29 PM

motor bike riders

I am totally amazed at work today I saw so many people on motorbikes wearing T shirts and shorts....and one passenger in a thin strappy dress
now I know bike gear is hot when they stop but for god sake don't they realise they have no protection if they have an accident ........

are they stupid or am i just old.lol
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh Inca, those were the days, cruising down the road to Matlock with 20/30 of your mates along side and the smell of leather !! We must be getting AND they are very stupid !! Never went out without full protection (am I still on the right thread ?)
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:34 PM
lol I agree with you there Inca. A couple of m8's are bikers but everytime they go out on their bikes no matter the weather they are always in their biker gear. These idiots who go out in tshirt nad shorts and flimsy clothing are really stupid
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:47 PM
grrrr a friend was hit by a hit and run biker and nearly killed a couple of weeks ago. but that aside i'v also seen so many bikers without protection. it's crazy. i also had a friend try to justify her OH driving at 180mph on a bike. grrrr makes me mad and when i questioned her about the chance of having an accident and hurting someone she replied with 'well he was hit by a car once'. however great bikes are they are also very dangerous and i wish it was law to wear helmets and protective clothing always!!!
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:54 PM
My oh was pushed into on coming traffic the other day on his motor bike, he landed on a taxi hit the bonnet smashed the windscreen and over the car. The paramedic said if he wasn't wearing his bike jacket he would have probably broken his shoulder and arms.
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Mr scotbun1 here, firstly,as a long time biker I never go out without leathers and full protection. Gravel Rash As a member of a motorbike club we try to tell everyone to enjoy riding your bike but with safety.
Secondly as an Ambulanceman I have been to so many accidents where the biker had no protection and the skin and flesh just tears like damp tissue paper. We can only educate so many people and we can't force them to wear leathers. Not only bikers but young folks on scooters need protection too. More so for the young kids with the mini moto's
Ian
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Vix
grrrr a friend was hit by a hit and run biker and nearly killed a couple of weeks ago. but that aside i'v also seen so many bikers without protection. it's crazy. i also had a friend try to justify her OH driving at 180mph on a bike. grrrr makes me mad and when i questioned her about the chance of having an accident and hurting someone she replied with 'well he was hit by a car once'. however great bikes are they are also very dangerous and i wish it was law to wear helmets and protective clothing always!!!

I think it is very wrong of you to tar us all with the same brush
It is law to wear a helmet...and wear them we do.We do not however wear full leathers....we wear protective jackets and jeans.
Yes there are some very stupid irresponsible riders out there...same as there are irresponsible car drivers!
As for nearly hit by a car...its something all bikers live with daily! I have lost count of the times someone has pulled out in front of us after having made eye contact....they think you can avoid them since you're on a bike!...either that or they don't care.A freind of my husbands was killed a couple of months ago after a woman pulled across the road in fromt of him...he was neither speeding (30mph) or riding carelessly.He was also wearing a helmet. My husband has been a biker for 30+ years now and has lost many freinds ....most to accidents caused by cars.In fact he almost lost an arm in a collision with a car. Dogs,cars,buses,even fairground rides can kill...should we ban them?
I'm sorry to go on but if anyone tared all dog owners with the same brush we would all be up in arms....I feel the same about bikes.
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:00 PM
It's scary when you think about how many people are totally exposed by not wearing leathers
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I was talking about the silly ones not the majority .........my family all have bikes including my dad who is 75 ..he would never dream of setting off out withtout his full gear on ......I don't think bikes are anymore dangerous but have to say when seatbelts in cars were made compulsary I think motorbikes should have to been made to make clothing safetly measures as well ....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Have to admit I've just been out this aft on a friends scooter with just my pink cords, a light jumper and a helmet on. It is scary to think what would happen if you came off, that thing can go over 50 mph!
Guess it was just a spare of the moment thing and forgot how fast it can go!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >