View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Its sick. I can't bear to think about it although i must say i think windfarms are far less damaging and can be a wonderful thing. Don't mean to offend anyone but there are far worse ways of making electricity. Definately hassle the council and some kind of petition would certainly help.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 05:19 PM
A few years ago, some garbagehead suggested that uranium could be mined just ouside the town of Stromness (our second biggest "metropolis") - see my website - and so many people went nuts that the whole project was cancelled. I am hoping that those same people are still here and can be drawn on for their experience. Orkney fought off these tw*ts once, perhaps the battleaxes are still in peoples' lofts and still sharp, so that we can fight them off again. The spirit of the Vikings is still in the Orkney genome, it's just time to wake it up again!

I am still thinking out something that can go in the paper and foment a bit of riot and mayhem.

One thing I can foresee is an army of gung-ho security wallahs seeing Al-Qaeda terrorists behind every tussock of heather (if it still keeps growing, that is) and waving guns at anything that moves!

It's not as though Orkney makes no "contribution" to renewable energy - we have already been a testing ground for wave power, but the dratted floaty things keep sinking because they site them in places your average local toddler could have told them was wrong. We have wind turbines all over the place, with more planned - not only are they an eyesore, they are very noisy and they interfere with both TV and mobile phones, as well as massacring the local bird population. I'll try to get a pic of one soon (there's one a couple of miles away) - the damn thing is 45 metres tall (about 100 feet, in old money), and there's even a scrapped one in town, lying beside the local mart, rusting in a field. It looks like a crashed plane.

What really annoys me is that Nuclear power was started before any thought was given as to what would be done with the waste. So now, we get the cr*p without any of the so-called benefits.

The e-mail addy of the local newspaper is THE ORCADIAN , if anyone fancies a bash at it!

Cheaper power from nuclear? It was a lie then, it's a lie now.

Snorri
(PO'ed)
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I am sick to death of hearing stories like this
I lived around loads of country area and now it's all gone
new housing estate, Factories it's turning this country into hell for wildlife
Good luck Snorri but i dont hold out much luck
Since when has the council given a toss what the people want
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
Good luck Snorri but i dont hold out much luck
Since when has the council given a toss what the people want
You're probably right, but if enough people send email or protest via the paper, it may resurrect the successful campaign fought a few years back re uranium mining. If those folk are still about, at least they'll know what worked last time, or so I hope!

The councillors might listen if they want to keep their free jaunts around the world ("factfinding", they call it). I don't know, but NIREX may have "special powers" to force the Council's hands. Our Council is quite effective, much to my surprise (I used to be in Edinburgh, where they need a consultant to tell them it's snowing), but this lot aren't bad - perhaps it's from being a Unitary Authority???????????

Snorri

P.S. in my last post, where it says "The Orcadian" in caps, that's an email link. Click it to tell them off! Can't do any harm! I daresay it will be published, being somewhat topical! S.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 06:58 PM
It is a real shame, such lovely countryside
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2