Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Regrets....

Do you have any regrets?

I do...and I only just realised the other day, I find it really sad. it must be a sign of getting a little older.

I wish I'd trained as a vet.

I wasted years doing 'art' and messing around having fun and travelled a bit, but then reality hit, I was 21 with no real career so I then trained and qualified to become a BSL interpreter. Great job, loads of demand (what recession?!) and a big salary. But people irritate me some days, I'm becoming less tolerant the older I get.

The 7 years I have spent training to become an interpreter I could have become a vet! I got the grades in school..6 A*, 4 A's, 4 'A' levels and 1 and a half degrees lol, I USED to be scared of blood and operations, however, growing older I have overcome this fear - damn!

I think that's the only regret I've got...thank goodness.

I do have lots I am proud of doing.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 08:01 AM
No.
I`ve changed direction / career at least 5 times. I trained as a riding instructress, then worked on a magazine (on job training), then took an art degree then went into community arts then switched to Theatre (back to college), then back to visual art. On the way I picked up all sorts of other skills including puppetry and candle making.
Never stop learning. It`s never too late.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Luckily I have None.

I trained as a veterinary nurse.
Went on later to work for the RSPCA (in those days good) for the Inspectors on cruelty cases as thier co-ordinator/secretary getting stuff ready for court etc., Got divorced
Then as I got older went back into practice as Head receptionist and PR for a veterinary practice, took training to keep accounts and did all his books.
Then when I re-married worked at a hospital as ward clerk and then onto a Doctors as full time receptionist.

Came into Fostering children 6 years ago and amongst all that worked with dogs/cats/and all wildlife and had two sons (now grown)

No I think I have had a pretty fullfilled life, plus took loads of exams on the way

Now just looking forward to retirement
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,

Is there any reason why you can't retrain to become a vet? You can always continue to work hard and learn new things regardless of how old you are.

I'm 36, still at Uni doing different degree courses alongside the usual boring stuff like every day work etc.

I don't have any regrets but if I had my time over again I would maybe turn things around and study/work at different things in a different order.

Laura xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I used to think there were things that I regretted, but what you have to remember is that one change somewhere previously in your life, would have had a far greater impact on your life and much of what you now value in your life might never have occured.

For instance, I used to regret that when I worked in London, i didn't buy a house down there but wasted money commuting from Peterborough...I would have been so much better off financially!

BUT then I realised, if I had done that, I wouldn't have been with my OH, won't have moved to Scotland and would probably never have been able to have my dogs. I might have hated living in London (almost certainly!), might have given up on my career and ended up with nothing.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Is there any reason why you can't retrain to become a vet? You can always continue to work hard and learn new things regardless of how old you are.Laura xx
Yeah there is time, I'm only 27, but it seems just a waste of money on the training I've done, maybe in a few years..But I guess then I'll only really want to be a lady of leisure, with lots of kids and dogs and stay at home, haha!

That's a very good point Hali, I'm sure if things hadn't gone the way they have I might not have my wonderful fiance, dogs, home etc, that's a nicer way to look at it.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Akitagirl, it's never too late to become what you might have been! Once you are a qualified vet, the seven years you spent doing something else will evaporate, they'll just be a little detour you had before you did what you really wanted to do.
I went into theatre at the age of 27- I almost didnt do it, thinking how late in the day it was. Now another 25 years later, those 'lost' years don't matter. Just put them down to experience.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 12:39 PM
No, well nothing I could have changed anyway. I think I've led a charmed life and have nothing to complain about.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess I have a few, mostly in my personal life though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:57 PM
No regrets for me either, except that instead of going to Uni I went to college and studied shorthand typing for 2 years, and although NOW I wish I had gone to Uni and done a veterinary course, at the time it never entered my head quite honestly. I've led a very full and busy life, owned half a dozen businesses along the way, diversifying from the boring office regime, made plenty of money, spent plenty of money partied day and night, had lots of boyfriends en-route to marrying a toy boy at the age of 30 (he was 20!), so no, no regrets for me, I am where I want to be, happy and contented, still with the same loving husband, still got my beloved animals around me, and sitting on me a*s doing nothing, which is where I intended to be at my age.

I don't think you can ever look book and have real regrets, otherwise, you end up getting depressed about where you are now surely? What's the point in that then? Better to take a look around you, see where you are, and change it if you are able to, and there is always a way to change where you are, I'm a great believer in that
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >