Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jane76
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2007, 08:29 PM

biting stafford pup

hello all i am new to this forum as you have probably guessed . recently i bought a 17 week old stafford pup, peigree but not kennal club registered, for the first few days he was a dream that was untill my little man found his feet and now he just wants to chew eat and play ( as staffs do at tugging) with anything including me and my hubby and kids !!!at the moment i am just doing seperation techniques and removing him from the room when he gets over excited but i just wondered if anyone else had any other techniques? other wise he is just so good he justgets over excited but with his puppy teeth it hurts !! any hel would be appreciated
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi & Welcome to Dogsey!

At 17 weeks I would guess your pup is starting to lose his teeth so needs something hard to chew on.

Kongs are good filled with yummy fillings,also frozen carrots for him to chew on.When he starts nipping biting,tell him a firm no and replace with something he is allowed to chew.We use to let out a scream,ouch,and say no biting and replace with a toy.
There are a few articles on here about bite inhibition,I will see if I can find them for you.

Here you go you may find this thread useful....
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=18395
jane76
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2007, 08:41 PM
thankyou sal
he is about 20 weeks now and no teeth have fallen out as yet
clydey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2007, 08:48 PM
i must say the loud ouch or a yelp has worked wonders with my 16 week staffie pup.im not saying she doesn`t chew but as the weeks go by she`s getting alot better
jane76
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2007, 09:00 PM
if i say a loud yelp he just carries on like its a game
clydey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by jane76 View Post
if i say a loud yelp he just carries on like its a game
if i yelp at wilma as if she has hurt me she tends to back off like she knows she has done wrong but i guess every pup is different you will soon get to know what works for your pup and what doesn`t
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello Jane and welcome to Dogsey i'm afraid by removing your puppy from the room you are stopping him biting temporarily but he is learning nothing.

Biting is normal behaviour in puppies, if a puppy doesn't bite there is something wrong with it . Puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them/during play/and when teething. Teething puppies need lots of safe things to chew just as a teething baby does

The biting and nipping of your family which you describe is 'play biting' .Play biting is best curbed and channelled in the right direction when the puppy is small, he should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all . The best way to do this is to teach bite inhibition so that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should he bite for any reason (like if he is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) he will have been taught never to sink his teeth into human skin.
Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy.

Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..
click here

My puppy is six months now and was a terrible biter , she has learnt bite inhibition and is very good now.
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2007, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Minihaha;1217433]Hello Jane and welcome to Dogsey i'm afraid by removing your puppy from the room you are stopping him biting temporarily but he is learning nothing.

Biting is normal behaviour in puppies, if a puppy doesn't bite there is something wrong with it . Puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them/during play/and when teething. Teething puppies need lots of safe things to chew just as a teething baby does

The biting and nipping of your family which you describe is 'play biting' .Play biting is best curbed and channelled in the right direction when the puppy is small, he should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all . The best way to do this is to teach bite inhibition so that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should he bite for any reason (like if he is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) he will have been taught never to sink his teeth into human skin.
Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy.

Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..
click here

Hi Jane,
I can't really add much to this advise, it's pretty much what I say to all my puppy owners in class. Earlier advice about Kongs was also spot on they are absolutely brilliant for teething pups as well as a great distraction.
jane76
New Member!
Female 

22-12-2007, 08:37 PM
thanks everyone that site was really usefull