Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnnW
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Food allergies or something else?

Hi everyone! I have 2 one year old wheaten terriers. Over the past 6 months Quinn has developed what the vet believes is a food allergy. It started with circular sore on his abdomen . Ring worm was ruled out. Vet says bacterial infection, meds seemed to have handled it. Then he started to develop more itchy spots and scabs. He chews on his forepaws and scratches constantly. He's been on Royal Canin Ultamino food for over 10 weeks with no real improvement. His sister Chloe has a few scabby spots but nothing like him.

I was wondering is anyone else has a similar experience? Also, we are thinking that maybe it's not a food allergy, maybe environmental or food sensitivity? The bowel movements are pretty regular and appear normal.

I would really like to find relief for our poor puppy and would like to get off the very expensive prescription food. I will spend $$ on a quality food but I am a t a loss as to what to do next. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2017, 07:08 PM
This may be of help:

http://www.wheatenhealthinitiative.c...allergies.html
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Whether it is food allergies, environmental allergies or food sensitivities, these are all caused by an over-reaction by the immune system. This is why using prednisone is effective because it suppresses the immune system.. If you want to get to the source of the problem, then you have to focus on the health of the gut. Gut function is about 80% if not more, of the immune system function. Gut problems in the dog (and cat) are almost always due to improper diet. This does not mean that this or that protein is bad or that this diet has or does not have grain it it. It means that feeding heat-processed dry kibble to dogs is not healthy for your dog's gut. It creates inflammation which leads to leaky gut syndrome and immune imbalance. Want to get rid of allergies, get off the processed food. Do some research and find out. Good luck.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2017, 05:52 PM
We did the blood tests to find what my dog has problems with....hers are environmental except for the storage mites in dried dog food, we are doing immunotherapy with her and she is down to 1/2 an apoquil tablet twice a week as oppose to 1 every day. I hope you find what he is allergic too