Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2014, 06:51 PM

Holiday Advice Please

I am determined to finally after 18 years treat myself to a holiday next year. I am hoping Charly and Ash will come with me.
I have always fancied the Canary Islands, but would like some recommendations of places to stay there bearing in mind the following.

1. How safe is the Canary islands for women (in case I go on my own)?
2. I want to be within easy walking distance to a beach, preferably on the beach.
3. The beach must be lovely sand not at all stoney
4. May need to be near a surfing beach (If Charly and Ash Come)
5. Want a nice clean hotel to stay with good entertainment and nice pool.
6. Want preferably all inclusive or half board
7. I am not rich and its going to stretch me to the limit having a holiday so price must be as cheap as possible.
8.I would ideally like to visit the place there that looks like the dessert with the big sand dunes so hopefully to be within excursion distance of there.

If any of you have been to the canary islands can you recommend anywhere that could fit the above. Or does anyone know of anywhere else that they could recommend to holiday at a reasonable price?

Thank you
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Never been to the Canary Islands only Majorca and Venice but if you do go Bev I hope you have a lovely time.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-07-2014, 08:44 PM
We stay at El Médano

Karen's dad has an apartment there.

It's not mega busy, some nice places to eat and the beach is famous for kite surfing.

Very Southern tip of the Island and a short taxi from the airport

http://www.realtenerifeislanddrives....%20Medano.html

http://www.mydestination.com/tenerif...8174/el-medano
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2014, 07:33 AM
I've never been but my very fussy SIL has been several times to the Canary Islands and Majorca and raves about them. She also says that Easy Jet far outclass Thompson airlines and something on the radio today verifies that.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Only been once and it was years ago. Had a lovely time in Costa del Silencio which was quieter than the larger resorts but I think the sandy (man made) beaches were in the bigger resorts if I remember correctly.
We went in March and it was scorchio!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 08:46 AM
I can't help there Bev, but if Charly and Ash don't go and you don't want to go alone, have you thought of these trips where a coachload of people go?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 01:05 PM
That's a great idea LS
BEV,so happy you're going to treat yourself to a holiday So deserve it
Going to Tenerife for a week( first time)huge Portugal fans so looking forward to trying somewhere different.In saying that I read every review there was,before I finally booked
Really hope you find somewhere lovely xx
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I've been to Tenerife, we went to Puerto Santiago, but the beach there is black sand and very hot
My mum loves Fuerteventura and loves it that much she's moving there. The sand is gorgeous there. Bet you'll love it
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't know any of those places but the last place I went to was near Tavira in the Argarve (Portugal) and we stayed in Santa Luzia (I think). Relatives of mine own and run some holiday houses there and it was an amazing trip! The house had its own kitchen which I loved cos I prefer to cook for myself (as a vegetarian it was difficult to find restaurants suitable for me in that area, the only downsite). There's a nature lake right outside and the beach is fairly close (and absolutely gorgeous!!! Not sure about surfing though).
I'm dying to go back there at some point.. here's the link to her website, if that's ok by forum rules..
http://www.quintamar.com/