Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Job Interview Qualifications ?

Do you take your qualifications with you to a job interview ?

Luke had an interview this morning,he was the 3rd one in,the guy was interviewing 10 people for the position
It's for a catering assistant 371/2 hours a weeks at £6.08 an hour,it's doing food prep,washing up,doing sandwich's etc so just basic stuff.

I took him because it's a big care home 92 beds and it's in the middle of nowhere but very easy to get to by car,I sat and waited for him and noticed that not one other person took in any qualifications,Luke had 3 big folders,two from college one from school

He said it went well but struggled when the guy asked why should they choose him,he said,I enjoy working in kitchens and with food,I am good at what I do and like working as part of a team.He was told if he gets it,he will have to work xmas to which he replied that wasn't an issue.
I really hope he gets it as full time jobs seem pretty thin on ground for youngsters these days.
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Good luck to him! He might as well take them! If they are worth showing off he should show them! Some places will want to see them, we always do but i work in a school so we require certain things for certain positions.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Fingers and paws x'd here for him.

When I first left University I used to take proof of what I'd done academically but time has gone on and I've got older, I wouldn't do it anymore.

I'm 38 now and I suppose most employers would base their decision more on references rather than exam results from almost 20 years ago.

But I do think it's a good idea for youngsters to be able to show what they've done. The fact that Luke had 3 folders with him means that he's organised enough to keep everything together easily and if he's the only one who did that then he's also shown that he thinks about what he's doing maybe a little more than others the same age.

As an employer, I would certainly consider him to be a stronger candidate because of it.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I think for his age and what he is applying for that sounded like a very good idea, fingers crossed for him
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:53 PM
another one who would take my qualifications with me to any interview but again, im specifically trained and have qualifications to that effect, so any employer would ask to see them.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
another one who would take my qualifications with me to any interview but again, im specifically trained and have qualifications to that effect, so any employer would ask to see them.
I've never taken my qualifications to an interview that requires specific qualifications bizarrely enough! I guess I always just assume if you don't have the requirements you wouldn't be applying for the job

I don't think I've ever been asked for them either come to think of it
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I've never taken my qualifications to an interview that requires specific qualifications bizarrely enough! I guess I always just assume if you don't have the requirements you wouldn't be applying for the job

I don't think I've ever been asked for them either come to think of it
i must admit, im more tempted to put my degree cert into a frame rather than keep it in my CPD folder. i thought though with me being recently qualified and having a few interviews recently, it would be better placed there.

the interviewers for the job i have now were glad that i included my degree cert in my portfolio
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
i must admit, im more tempted to put my degree cert into a frame rather than keep it in my CPD folder. i thought though with me being recently qualified and having a few interviews recently, it would be better placed there.

the interviewers for the job i have now were glad that i included my degree cert in my portfolio
Cool. Mine are collecting dust in a drawer somewhere!

Could just be differences in fields, we are all about publications and grants history, experience with certain techniques and an interview is normally a presentation of some sort.

I kind of assume that since everyone applying will have the qualification, then u need to concentrate on standing out from the crowd, but i guess that depends on the job spec too.....
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I've never taken any with me!

For photo work i've had to send portfolios and stuff, but i've never been interviewed for that really!

Applying for big scary proper jobs at the moment, as the photos are just my on the side job at uni. Might keep doing it on the side though, as i do love it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:07 AM
I've always taken my 'bits of paper' along.

Dependent on the job, some employers are more interested in seeing them than others.

Many years ago when my husband was made redundant, he and a former colleague went for two different jobs at a company where both really wanted to work. My hubby took along a presentation folder with his CV, qualifications, and some background history of the type of jobs he'd worked on previously. The other guy didn't.

My hubby was given a job and was told after he started work there that if his colleague had put in half the preparation for his interview he'd have got his job too, but because he hadn't they didn't employ him.

It can never hurt to be as prepared as possible.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >