Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Feeding - together or separate?

Do those of you with more than one dog feed them in separate rooms? I've always fed Bogie the spaniel on his own, as he is so food obsessed I know he would find it extremely stressful if he thought there was a chance of another dog getting it.

I always used to feed Witty the terrier and Gertie my late lurcher in the same room and they were both very relaxed with the other one around. Have been doing the same with Witty and Pepe. However, this morning Witty finished his and came to see how Pepe was getting on, and Pepe was very protective of his bowl, so I'll have to feed them in three separate rooms from now on.

Pepe is now nearly five months - after swearing at Witty for approaching his bowl, he went out into the garden and cocked his leg for the first time! He's growing up!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Mine are in the same room, but in separate corners and supervised
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
We feed together, but with a superviser. They'll quite happily share so we need someone there to make sure each of them get what they need. They will often share the same raw bone.... Which I *think* is pretty unusual!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I think it depends very much on the dog. Our first lab and great dane were fed in different rooms because otherwise the lab would eat his food and then go over to our dane's bowl (who was a very slow eater!) and try and eat that.

Our second dane and spaniel were always fed in the same room, for years with no problems at all.

My current dog is an only dog but when visiting my mum's lab they would be fed in the same room - supervised - with no problems.

If Pepe is not comfortable with Witty approaching his bowl then I think you are right to separate them when eating.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:47 AM
When i had 2 they were fed in the same room in their own corners and supervised at all times until bowls came up.

Treats never anywhere near each other as my Rottweiler is very food/treat aggressive when it comes to other dogs. Not the least bit aggressive with me though no matter what she has i can have my face inches from hers even with a big fresh marrowbone.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
When I have 2 dogs they are always fed separately, well apart.

If they have recreational bones, then one is in a crate whilst the other is out.

I like my dogs to relax around food.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Same room, normally separate-ish and half-supervised but not strictly. I know my two though and know they don't have issues over food* and either one could shove their head in the other one's bowl if they wanted to - Kiki would probably barge Casper out of her bowl and Casper would probably just let Kiki pinch the last of his
*However, they do have one thing that causes issue - whole rabbit. We've had a couple of minor altercations in the past (once before I realised the issue, and once due to me having a bit of a stupid moment when fetching in a bit of rabbit that Kiki had left and both dogs followed me over then decided to scrap over this rabbit head that Kiki didn't actually want to eat - silly madam), thankfully nothing serious and easily stopped because I always supervise bone-type meals anyway but I always feed rabbit outside (so they have the length of the garden to keep away from each other - after the first scrap I kept them physically separated until they got in the habit of keeping out of each other's way) and always supervise closely and this works out fine. I'd never feed it indoors (forcing them to be too near) or unsupervised, but everything else is absolutely fine - stuffed Kongs, marrowbones, etc. they don't guard. They will happily drop a half-eaten Kong and move on to another one, swap bones with each other, etc. with no problem.
I leave them with stuffed Kongs on a near daily basis and never have to worry about it thankfully - it would make life a bit more difficult if I did have to separate them. It's one of the things that would make me hesitate to foster/adopt a third dog, potentially throwing a spanner in the works if they didn't share the same attitude to food.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Hoki was very food possessive when we first got her, but we worked hard on this. They are fed in the same room, but they both know that they are not to approach the other one's bowl unless we have said that it is ok (i.e. when the other one has finished).

As Hoki eats much faster than Stumpy we simply trained her to lie down out the way once she had finished. We'd held some of her meal back and hand fed this to her slowly while Stumpy finished.

The only thing that I have avoided rather than working on is things that they can't eat quickly (i.e. bones). Hoki gets increadibly stressed if she has something like that and becomes very, very aggressive (to the point where she attacked our previous dog for simply investigating an area where the bone had been but wasn't at the time).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I feed in separate spaces and watch to check that no-one sneaks off to grab someone else`s.
I don`t leave treats or chews about. With 4 dogs it would lead to arguments IMO.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
The kennel dogs who share a kennel, they are fed next to each other but supervised. Dotty and Alfie are a pain as they like to swap bowls!

The house dogs - Corrie, Jim and Tarn are fed from one bowl, which is left down all day. I have never done this with dogs before and I'm not sure why we started but it works. Non of them eat too much, and they are all a good wait, and relaxed when eating.

Helen
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »