Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Got a bit upset at Discover Dogs today: re Rough Collies

I got a bit upset today...sorry for long post...

As my first dog was a Rough Collie, I have a soft spot for them, though I doubt I would ever choose this breed again. At Discover Dogs today I went over to see the RCs and noticed that one of them was crying constantly. Glancing over at the water bowl, I saw it was empty. The woman who was there with the dogs was busy chatting with someone so I drifted away to nearby stall, glancing back occasionally to see if she was free. However she was involved in a long conversation. I went to join my friend at the show ring, assuming the woman would replenish her dogs' water shortly.

35 minutes later, I returned to the RCs - the dog there was still crying and the woman was still talking to someone. I couldn't stand it anymore and waited for a pause in their conversation then politely asked 'Would you like me to get some cold water for your lovely dogs?'

She glanced over at their clearly empty bowl and informed me: 'No thanks, there's still a little bit left'.

I politely pointed out that no, it was in fact empty and as other people were now starting to listen, she finally went and got some water to pour into their bowl. Immediately the dog that had been crying went over and started drinking. I mean, come on - it 'aint rocket science, is it now????? It was really hot and crowded there; how can someone leave their dogs with no water?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Its was really hot and to crowded in the dd section ...
I will go to Discover dog proper again but not the london pet show if they keep it in earls court 2...
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Well done for getting involved!! I'm sure the poor dog would have thanked you had it been able to speak. The fact that it immediately started drinking is a 'thank you' in itself!!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Its was really hot and to crowded in the dd section ...
I will go to Discover dog proper again but not the london pet show if they keep it in earls court 2...

Yes, DD proper was amazing, but the London Pet Show was great if you want to see all the animals, but for those of us who wanted just dogs, it was not fab. The highlight for me was meeting two stunning Rotties, and some lovely Labs also.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Well done for getting involved!! I'm sure the poor dog would have thanked you had it been able to speak. The fact that it immediately started drinking is a 'thank you' in itself!!
Cheers

I know it must be hard for the dog owners there; they need to look after their dogs while being bombarded with questions by the visitors also. It's just horribly ironic that a show for dog lovers did seem to enjoy some rather uncomfortable and certainly thirsty dogs!
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Good for you for saying something. That poor Rough'. They suffer from the heat so quickly too!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I hate that sort of very basic neglect. It may be worth contacting the breed society (as often it is the breed society that organised representatives of their breed to go to DD) and explain what you saw.

Also the organisers of DD. Well done for saying something.

Wys
x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Good for you for being so persistent with it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I hate that sort of very basic neglect. It may be worth contacting the breed society (as often it is the breed society that organised representatives of their breed to go to DD) and explain what you saw.

Also the organisers of DD. Well done for saying something.

Wys
x

Cheers, contacting the breed society is a great idea!

Am definitely going to contact DD, yes

CHEERS GUYS
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 07:36 AM
I do think these shows should have welfare wardens doing the rounds to spot things like this and take the owners to task.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »