Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Having worked in rescue for years myself, i do feel that sometimes people over state and over emote the whole emotional trauma side of things.

Sure, it can be bad, but its not like you see horror cases everyday. On the whole, the worst of your week is seeing cooped up stressed cage dogs all the time, which is similar to boarding kennels.
Not nice, but you can work around it

And we did all get minumum wage or more so, statutory holidays.
And many of us get live in accomodation with free or reduced rent and/or bills.

Im not too sure what i think about constantly relieving puppy farms of puppies.
I can see both sides of the arguement.
I can certainly see the point one needs to be careful in campaigning against puppy farms if one doesnt want to upset the famers themselves, in case they wont let you take the dogs/pups into rescue.

However, a general question to all:
How long does everyone think is an acceptable period of time for maintaining this strategy before one starts working toward the strategy of doing something about the farms themselves?
i didn't suggest it did, vbut when you hear the same stories over and over again it begins to bring you down, and quite frankly one horrific case of abuse can stay with you for a very long time.

I would say every other home check or assessment brings you into contact with someone you would rather not. Bearing in mind i deal solely with staffies....the most abused and neglected dog owned by many a not so pleasant owner.

( or certainly the ones that are giving them up!)

Further we are on the committee opt the rescue and work for it but we don't get paid?? we do this out of our own time and time spent way from kids/family/life etc. I am not expecting violins its my choice but its damn sight easier to have a say when you haven't experienced the hard stuff than if you have... I think its easy to be critical from the outside.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Hmm, isolation kennels/vacc's issue, now theres another thread
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Apparently their website has been hacked and all the information wiped?!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I seen bandwidth used for the month?
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Apparently their website has been hacked and all the information wiped?!
Convenient!!!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I totally agree with Azz as well. I have always wondered why MT takes ex breeders and also why they have pups continually in their rescue
What you have done with the ex breeders then? Would you rather they just had a spade round their heads after they have served their purpose? But then no doubt you would blame rescues for not doing enough to save them! Damned if they do damned if they dont either way with you.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
What you have done with the ex breeders then? Would you rather they just had a spade round their heads after they have served their purpose? But then no doubt you would blame rescues for not doing enough to save them! Damned if they do damned if they dont either way with you.
If MT were less inclined to give so many PF an easy way out it stands to reason that they would start to become less prolific as life for them would become more difficult.

There are two options:
  • Rescue all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and allow the suffering to continue inexorably.
  • Stop rescuing all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and prevent the suffering of many dogs forever more.

Of course the latter may result in the suffering of the first few ex breeders and puppies, but if it meant it would prevent the suffering of many, many others then so be it. Everything in life comes with a price sadly.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
If MT were less inclined to give so many PF an easy way out it stands to reason that they would start to become less prolific as life for them would become more difficult.

There are two options:
  • Rescue all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and allow the suffering to continue inexorably.
  • Stop rescuing all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and prevent the suffering of many dogs forever more.

Of course the latter may result in the suffering of the first few ex breeders and puppies, but if it meant it would prevent the suffering of many, many others then so be it. Everything in life comes with a price sadly.
I don't think by not rescuing dogs/pups from PF that it will stop them breeding. They will just kill the ones they don't want/need, it's not like they care about the dogs. Or maybe dump them somewhere.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
I don't think by not rescuing dogs/pups from PF that it will stop them breeding. They will just kill the ones they don't want/need, it's not like they care about the dogs. Or maybe dump them somewhere.
You may not think it, but the truth is you do not know it. Not bailing out PFs would be a good place to start by making life harder for them with an aim to trying to shut them down. Shutting them down would prevent suffering full stop, as opposed to "rescuing" several dogs every week giving them a nice easy way to continue the suffering by creating space in their kennels for new breeding bitches.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
when one was found out here they moved on (without the dogs) before they could be caught, loads of dogs found in containers (as in shipment containers/the ones you see at shipyards), dead dogs, diseased dogs, injured dogs, lack of ventilation, food water.....they couldn't give a damn. So I'm not sure that its as simple as just not taking their dogs pups, there really is no black and white easy answer. As DG says, they just dont care about their (dogs) fate. They are only interested in money. Cheaper to dump them and move on than to be caught it seems. I don't think this is unusual either.

Apparently they had started by taking on 'free to good home' dogs, no idea if thats true, but I think it is likley. If they need the next in breed to breed from, they wont waste money buying a pup like others....

PF's life is no harder if no-one takes on their old stock, they just kill them, abandon them..
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >