Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
That was just my one (and only) time that I've ever expressed an interest in a dog fromrescue! I'm not saying every rescue is like that!
i know , i was just commenting that some will alow dogs to be worked
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
No not at all and I am heavily involved with a breed rescue. I have both dogs from breeders and dogs from rescue and I don't feel guilty or pressured either way. It's my choice to do what I need to fit in with my lifestyle. I also think we have to breed from the best dogs who are fit for purpose, ie fit healthy specimens who will enhance the breed.

Does worry me a bit though the number of folk on here who say rescues wouldn't rehome to them because of their circumstances. We rehome to folk who work, folk who have kids, folk in flats, older folk etc. as long as they are going to provide a home that suits the breed and the particular dog in mind.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a rescue, but I doubt I'd even be considered! A lot of the rehoming policies I've read have stated how many dogs you can already own and I have too many, all the dogs I do have aren't neutered, and I don't have a secure garden!

I did look into getting a 6 month old springer but got told they wouldn't rehome to me as I expressed an interest in working the dog! It was a working bred springer!!!!

For my working dogs, it'll always be pups from breeders or adult dogs that have come from friends for what ever reasons. Should I/OH decide to have a dog that we aren't going to work, then we'd maybe try for a rescue, but probably go for a private rehome.
Not sure which Springer Rescue that would be but in Springer Rescue for Scotland we have rehomed dogs to working homes - sometimes they have come from a working home but in most cases families have taken them on and trained them to work. That's what Springers do!

We also don't specify how many dogs, kids, etc etc you can have!!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The adoption/rescue parallel - it's really breathtakingly somewhere... well between naive and offensive.

I'm one of those people for whom I DO get the "pressure" (although it's not that - it's people opening their mouths before engaging their brain trying to be "helpful") to adopt rather than have a biological child - since it's so hard for us (and it looks like I'm currently in the middle of yet another miscarriage but don't know for certain yet)... to compare that biological urge to have your own genetic children (if it hits you and you can't do it it's like a steam roller but with added spikey painful bits) and even the trauma and intrusiveness and scrutiny of the adoption process (no one has to meet the right exact ethnic background to adopt a dog - not even in the most mythologically bad rescue in the land) is nowhere on the same planet or in the same universe as the most stringent homecheck going for any animal.

To even compare the two - belittles it completely in quite an offensive way.

I've rewritten this post umpteen times to try to verbalise what I'm thinking - and I still probably haven't done it well... and "quit trotting out the all rescue dogs have issues" rubbish too... quite a lot of them just ended up in the wrong house at the wrong time and got failed collossally their humans - yet they carry this stigma for the rest of their lives - because their "owners" failed them. THAT piddles me off.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I've rewritten this post umpteen times to try to verbalise what I'm thinking - and I still probably haven't done it well... and "quit trotting out the all rescue dogs have issues" rubbish too... quite a lot of them just ended up in the wrong house at the wrong time and got failed collossally their humans - yet they carry this stigma for the rest of their lives - because their "owners" failed them. THAT piddles me off.
I agree. The majority of dogs who come in to us are fine and those who have certain issues for whatever reason, can, in the main, be turned around by their new owner. You can't generalise one way or the other.

Haven't seen many posts saying otherwise but maybe I've missed them?
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ellard View Post
I agree. The majority of dogs who come in to us are fine and those who have certain issues for whatever reason, can, in the main, be turned around by their new owner. You can't generalise one way or the other.

Haven't seen many posts saying otherwise but maybe I've missed them?
I did say I take my hat off to those who do rescue dogs with issues, certainly wasn't implying that this is always the case...my little stray Maggie is the easiest dog I know, of course I have no idea about the fella we're about to take on but from what I've seen he seems like a well rounded little chap.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ellard View Post
Not sure which Springer Rescue that would be but in Springer Rescue for Scotland we have rehomed dogs to working homes - sometimes they have come from a working home but in most cases families have taken them on and trained them to work. That's what Springers do!

We also don't specify how many dogs, kids, etc etc you can have!!
I've said in another post it wasn't a breed specific rescue I was at. I think it was the lady in charge of the rescue didnt agree with shooting, so wouldnt rehome to a working home.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Paley71 View Post
I did say I take my hat off to those who do rescue dogs with issues, certainly wasn't implying that this is always the case...my little stray Maggie is the easiest dog I know, of course I have no idea about the fella we're about to take on but from what I've seen he seems like a well rounded little chap.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply anything was just saying I hadn't seen anything that would imply all rescues had issues but I am the worlds worst for skim reading so may have missed them.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Why would I feel guilty? Both my dogs are FROM rescues - neither's massively emotionally damaged, neither are rabid-child-eating monsters like many people I'd expect more of seem to be trying to paint in this thread either.

Layton in particular is NOT some damaged monster - he's just an unlucky ****** who happened to end up with some people who WERE callous monsters and kicked him out. I object to people making assumptions en-masse about rescue dogs all having issues - most of the ones who are totally off the wall at dog class with issues - came from breeders.
.. and "quit trotting out the all rescue dogs have issues" rubbish too... quite a lot of them just ended up in the wrong house at the wrong time and got failed collossally their humans - yet they carry this stigma for the rest of their lives - because their "owners" failed them. THAT piddles me off.
I've not seen any posts saying that "all rescues have issues" I think we are all well aware on here that there are many many dogs in rescue that dont deserve to be and are there through no fault of their own. BUT the fact remains that rescues arent always for everyones situation.
I learned this the hard way...in that the rescues were not good in my home environment (other active pushy dogs and a loud child).
It is a fact that you dont really know a dog until you bring it home, for me personally i could never fully trust an adult dog brought into the house that I didnt know the full history for, and that is why for the forseeable future i will only bring a 'blank canvass' puppy into my home. Thats my perogative, same as yours is yours. Nothing wrong with either.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't feel guilty. There are no HWV in rescue due to it's relatively rare status in the UK and the percentage of show type ESS in rescue is tiny in proportion to the amount of working type pet bred ESS in rescue. You don't automatically add to the rescue population if you choose a good, ethical breeder. If I bought my dogs from unethical pet breeders then I probably would feel guilty as these are the types that keep adding to the rescue population IMO.

As others have also said - many rescues wouldn't home to me as I refuse to lop off my dogs reproductive organs just to please them. Plus I live alone and work full time so this would more than likely render me "unsuitable".
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »