Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Apart from the well formed argument for breeding, which I agree with. The debate of whether to rescue or buy cuts right to the core of life itself. In that, do you intentionally choose a potentially more difficult life for yourself, and do a good deed in the process, and rescue; or do you bring only joy (increased likelihood any way) and buy a pup at 7 weeks and make it a (hopefully) perfect dog? The latter should cause you and everyone the dog meets happiness and less stress.

But the two are not mutually exclusive

For instance, Dexter was really hard work for the first six months and there were a number of problems; I learned a hell of a lot about dogs in the process and there is no doubt that life WAS more stressful because I'd adopted a dog with 'issues'.

But - one year on and he absolutely brings joy and happiness to everyone he meets. He makes children beam and giggle, and I've seen him raise a smile from some folk who before seeing him seemed very miserable.

He makes me and my family laugh on a daily basis.

So while I understand what you're saying, the two options you present are not mutually exclusive
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
well we got sammy as a pup and didnt feel guilty and would get our second dog as a pup, as we have children and feel much happier getting the dog from a puppy so we can teach it how we want, rather than getting a dog not knowing its history, and not having 100% trust in it. if we didnt have children then defo yes we would go down the rescue road.
a friend got a pup from a rescue. But it might be difficult if you do not like staff mixes!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
But the two are not mutually exclusive

For instance, Dexter was really hard work for the first six months and there were a number of problems; I learned a hell of a lot about dogs in the process and there is no doubt that life WAS more stressful because I'd adopted a dog with 'issues'.

But - one year on and he absolutely brings joy and happiness to everyone he meets. He makes children beam and giggle, and I've seen him raise a smile from some folk who before seeing him seemed very miserable.

He makes me and my family laugh on a daily basis.

So while I understand what you're saying, the two options you present are not mutually exclusive
That is my view also and I guess I said that because I have my cousin and uncle visiting and one of our dogs is terrified and keeps barking at them. So although I am confident we will turn him around in time, in the process the neighbours are irritated, my guests can not help but feel less welcome and we feel stressed. So was rescuing that dog for the greater good? I am sure everyone but me think no!
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14