Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MoodyBlue
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Tumors

Although our much loved Winston has just passed his 16th birthday, it was a great shock to find him wobbly on his feet, eyes moving from side to side a few days ago. Straight to the vets and we all suspected a stroke. However, he has not responded much to the treatment and has now not eaten for 4 days. Whatever we try, he refuses to eat. He is drinking only water.
We now suspect a brain tumor. Tomorrow he will go back to the vets for tests.
We are a close family, and Winston has been a focal point growing up with my two sons. Very difficult times at the moment.
Would appreciate sharing others experience with this illness.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
So sorry, but I have no experience of this condition, and just like yourself, I too would have suspected a stroke, either heammorhage or blockage Whatever's going on, it's definitely neurological coz of the nystagmus with the eyes, but then again I myself had that but with vertigo which is an ear condition. Regarding the eating thing, dogs always know best, you can't force them if they just don't want to eat, but as long as he's drinking water, he can get by.

He's reached a ripe old age, you must be heartbroken to see him like this, and although it's not for me to say, would you really want to put him through any major invasive tests? I do hope not. My heart goes out to you, I hope he somehow bounces back.xxxx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
has your vet considered a middle ear infection?
MoodyBlue
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Will certainly mention the middle ear tomorrow. Yes we are heartbroken and at his age, I think it would not be in his best interests to put him through major invasive tests. Poor little fella has been in good health, apart from a heart murmor, all his life.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
So sorry to read this. I hope it's nothing too serious. I'm rather worried about him not eating, though.....

*Hugs* x0x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Best wishes for the tests today.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
good luck with the tests, big big hugs xxx
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
So sorry to hear about Winston.

Best of luck from us, keep us posted

xxx
MoodyBlue
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I left for work this morning expecting a phone call after 10am with sad news. To my surprise my two sons and wife, agreed with the vet, who has known Winston since he was a puppy, to give him another chance. The vet has ruled out inner ear problems, but has administered 2 other drugs to help him. She assures us he is not in pain, and he certainly does not show distress.
He remains very unsteady. His eyes are not moving around so much. But to our astonishment, he regained some appetite this afternoon for the first time in 5 days.
Wether this is a temporary blip, we do not know. I guess the next couple of days are now important to him. But he is fighting it bless him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Awww bless his little cotton socks, he sounds a real little fighter even at his grand old age! Enjoy every moment now, because you just never know...... hug him lots which I'm sure you will. Take care, I hope he carries on eating for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >