Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I hate all these personal attacks, more so when people are posting such as pidge did for advice and others views,

the time will come when people will feel that any problem with there dog should not be put on the forum as it will be used against them,
PLEASE dont let it come to that, we should all be here for each other when problems with young dogs come up, Geez no one has the perfect dog, not even me! snigger snigger My perfect vinnie, with 100% recall, got out the car last week and chased a cat... ok not with intent to hurt it, more come eer till I sniff yer butt sorta thing, but the point being I called him and he didnt stop first time....

so if people feel the need, why not batter into me for that...
Because no one is perfect Shona, it's just that some people think they are. Very arrogant really.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
they'd have to be a braver person than me to batter you
Seriously, very good post (can't give you any reppies )

There were some really well made posts on both sides which I think had made everyone think about the other point of view...but its now in danger of being ruined by mudslinging.
tbh, this thread has been a real eye opener for me, I have taken problem dogs from rescue into my home, but never really had to think about it from the rescue practicalitys side of things,
I can see so much sense in the for and so much sense in the against... I can also see the problems in both...
again each case has its own needs, just as all dogs have diff needs, no two will ever be the same.

I hope the thread gets back OT, as said, its really intresting, it has got me thinking from all sides of the fence sort of thing,

since joining dogsey, I have found that often my views can be bent when taking part in such threads, some people are very good at explaining things from there side, which you would never realised as your not in there shoes.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
You should have had vinnie under more control, and its plain to see he doesnt have 100% recall and how do you he would have sniffed it That sort of thing. Sorry couldnt resist.
the thing is................. your sooooo right.. I hang my head in shame....

he no longer has 100% recall. the problem is...... sometimes we get a bit lax... assuming because they never have they never will... it was a sharp reality check for me,

what if he had crossed the road and a car had been coming.... god forbid.

I can say, hand on heart he wouldnt have hurt it though, he would have ran faster if he had intent... he just kinda lolopped after it for 20ft... but he didnt come untill I gave him a second call.

in my own defence I had a sore throat at the time... so he may not have understood the cracking command from behind him............
against my own defence.......... He is ment to know better than to come out of the car and move anywhere ... so another reason to start putting more training back in ....

again hangs head in shame..........
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
the think is................. your sooooo right.. I hang my head in shame....

he no longer has 100% recall.

I can say, hand on heart he wouldnt have hurt it though, he would have ran faster if he had intent... he just kinda lolopped after it for 20ft... but he didnt come untill I gave him a second call.

in my own defence I had a sore throat at the time... so he may not have understood the cracking command from behind him............
against my own defence.......... He is ment to know better than to come out of the car and move anywhere ... so another reason to start putting more training back in ....

and so you should
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
the think is................. your sooooo right.. I hang my head in shame....

he no longer has 100% recall. the problem is...... sometimes we get a bit lax... assuming because they never have they never will... it was a sharp reality check for me,

what if he had crossed the road and a car had been coming.... god forbid.

well, I'm certainly not letting Hoki & Stumpy mix with your lot anymore, as mine are so perfect I wouldn't want them lead into bad ways
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Okay...
I asked to have a 'trial run' with a rescue at my home, that trial run was only an afternoon or overnighter.
I asked because I was not sure how my dogs would respond to the dog in our home and I was not sure how the dog would respond to my dogs in the home.
Thsi dog had never lived with other dogs in a home environment and was only
meeting mine either onlead or in a large 'training' area. It was impossible to tell what they would be like in a home environment. Like Isochicks dogs, my dogs are VERY different when out and about to the way that they are at home, so all I wanted to do was to spend a bit of time with the dog to see how my dogs would respond and how he would respond in a much more enclosed area.

I agree, letting rescues out willy nilly on foster periods could throw up massive problems and I don't think it should necessarily be a 'done' thing for a rescue...BUT each case should be decided on its own merits.

I do not think any less of rescue dogs than pups...as was suggested, but the thing is I know my dogs readily accept pups into their home, they have done it loads of times. I know they readily accept adolescent females into the home as they have done it plenty of times....but an adolescent, just neutered male I did not know about.

The last thing I wanted to do was end up bouncing a dog back to a rescue centre...I did not want to take him home as a permanent addition and then find my dogs would not accept him as I think that would be the wrong thing to do. So I asked for a few hours with him. I don't see how that would create a problem for him given he had just also spent an overnighter at the vets....

I DO understand people think I was thinking the rescue wasn't as 'good' as a pup....BUT the fact is I know how my dogs react to puppies....I know how they react to older dogs, I know how they react to adolescent females...but NOT adolescent males...so I wanted to see for myself. I am responsible and experienced and I suspect despite the policy the rescue would have allowed it as they know me...

It is about assessing each case on its own...treating each dog and potential adopter as individuals.
A trial run for a couple of hours still wouldnt indicate how a rescue would be in say a months time and I think to say if you didnt get a trial you wouldnt get the dog was rather unfair on the dog and the rescue really.

To take a rescue dog - or any other dog for that matter into your home for a couple of hours and expect them to behave in the same way as they will in a few months settling in time is setting it up for failure IMO.

As I think someone else said rescues will insist on a dog going back to rescue if there is a problem anyway so its all a trial period as such and there would be back up for any problems that become apparent after the honeymoon is over.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
A trial run for a couple of hours still wouldnt indicate how a rescue would be in say a months time and I think to say if you didnt get a trial you wouldnt get the dog was rather unfair on the dog and the rescue really.

To take a rescue dog - or any other dog for that matter into your home for a couple of hours and expect them to behave in the same way as they will in a few months settling in time is setting it up for failure IMO.

As I think someone else said rescues will insist on a dog going back to rescue if there is a problem anyway so its all a trial period as such and there would be back up for any problems that become apparent after the honeymoon is over.
I was wanting to see MY dogs reaction to the rescue though.
I would not take a rescue into my home and return it after the honeymoon period thats the whole point and one I obviously didn't make clearly enough. Once the dog was rehomed with us...thats it...there is no way the dog would be going back,thats the whole point. I would move hell and earth and do everything I could to ensure any problems were sorted, as it was I was in touch with a trainer at every step along the way with this, a trainer I know well and trust and who knows me and my dogs well.
The few hours be it an afternoon or overnight stay was to assess how MY dogs responded and also to get to know the dog better...before making a final decision about whether I was taking the dog on for the next 15 years as once he was here that would be it....end of. I had to make sure it was the RIGHT dog and that meant assesssing my dogs reaction to him being in their space. I already know how they react to puppies, before that is thrown at me again, I know they can do puppies....as well as old dogs and adolescent bitches but I do not know about adolescent males and frankly it would have been irresponisible of me to rehome home this guy without finding out first.

I am all for rescue but in my situation it has to be the right dog for us.....in all honesty if I had a choice i would be rehoming an entirely differnt dog from this centre, one who I have spent quite a while with, but one who hates kids and dogs...so I can't have him. As it turns out Mr C wasn't right either...

I was trying to ensure that I wouldn't be returning him after a 'honeymoon period' I was trying to ensure that I had covered all bases before bringing him in as a permanent fixture (which he would have been as soon asI left the rescue with him as 'mine'. I would then have done EVERYTHING no matter how hard or how long it took, to ensure he had a happy life with us. He would have been our dog.

I don't need to bring a pup home to know it will be fine. Biff adores pups (yes still despite his illnesses...he loves them as they make him feel superior...) and Cosmo feels safe with them and likes to play with them.So I don't need a trial period. Any pup coming ehre would also be from a breeder I know well and from lines I know about so it would be different.

As I say the trial or visit was to assess my dogs.....it would have been pre signing up for him totally to ensure that this was really the dog for us. He wasn't...it is responsible to ensure its the right dog surely, before making a 15 year commitment????
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
There you go. All of that smacks of "look how great I am". As for the other stuff you've said about me, you got it abit wrong, didn't you. Silly.

You are doing a great thing, but making no one on here respect you because of the way you speak to people. Not a sensible move if you ask me.
As I have said Pidge there are many people on this site I disagree with but respect their opinions greatly but others like yourself who claim I have gone down in there estimation well frankly I couldnt give a hoot as I do not value your opinion and dont really know what they are talking about IMO.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
[
I was wanting to see MY dogs reaction to the rescue though.
Oh see I thought you said

For the record, what I wanted was to have Mr C home either overnight or just for the afternoon so I could assess how he would be around my dogs properly.

I would not take a rescue into my home and return it after the honeymoon period thats the whole point and one I obviously didn't make clearly enough. Once the dog was rehomed with us...thats it...there is no way the dog would be going back,thats the whole point. I would move hell and earth and do everything I could to ensure any problems were sorted, as it was I was in touch with a trainer at every step along the way with this, a trainer I know well and trust and who knows me and my dogs well.
The few hours be it an afternoon or overnight stay was to assess how MY dogs responded and also to get to know the dog better...before making a final decision about whether I was taking the dog on for the next 15 years as once he was here that would be it....end of. I had to make sure it was the RIGHT dog and that meant assesssing my dogs reaction to him being in their space. I already know how they react to puppies, before that is thrown at me again, I know they can do puppies....as well as old dogs and adolescent bitches but I do not know about adolescent males and frankly it would have been irresponisible of me to rehome home this guy without finding out first.

I am all for rescue but in my situation it has to be the right dog for us.....in all honesty if I had a choice i would be rehoming an entirely differnt dog from this centre, one who I have spent quite a while with, but one who hates kids and dogs...so I can't have him. As it turns out Mr C wasn't right either...

I was trying to ensure that I wouldn't be returning him after a 'honeymoon period' I was trying to ensure that I had covered all bases before bringing him in as a permanent fixture (which he would have been as soon asI left the rescue with him as 'mine'. I would then have done EVERYTHING no matter how hard or how long it took, to ensure he had a happy life with us. He would have been our dog.

I don't need to bring a pup home to know it will be fine. Biff adores pups (yes still despite his illnesses...he loves them as they make him feel superior...) and Cosmo feels safe with them and likes to play with them.So I don't need a trial period. Any pup coming ehre would also be from a breeder I know well and from lines I know about so it would be different.

As I say the trial or visit was to assess my dogs.....it would have been pre signing up for him totally to ensure that this was really the dog for us. He wasn't...it is responsible to ensure its the right dog surely, before making a 15 year commitment????
But even so as Mr C got his paws under the table his personality could and probably would change so your dogs reactions to him on that first trial would again be open to change. Which is why I didnt understand why you not even consider him unless the trial was allowed but you would make every effort to keep him after you had got him home regardless if things went wrong.

This is part of the reason I dont think trials are a good idea or a very realistic way of assessing how all the dogs in the house will get on.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
As I have said Pidge there are many people on this site I disagree with but respect their opinions greatly but others like yourself who claim I have gone down in there estimation well frankly I couldnt give a hoot as I do not value your opinion and dont really know what they are talking about IMO.
That last bit makes no sense. We'll just have to leave it that you got it wrong about why and how we have Woody and that I think you have a very nasty way of getting your point across.

Nothing more to say now as far as I'm concerned I've made my views quite clear.
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »