Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoethedoxie
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Weird Incident with my Dachshund yesterday

Hi all,

I am the proud mama to a very healthy, 1.5 year old miniature female dachshund named Zoe. She is very spunky!

Yesterday we went on a short walk (10 min) to the mailbox. We live in Florida and the temp was about 85 degrees. She recently got groomed so her hair is short right now. She had been inside with me all day (other than a few short walks) and had been eating/drinking normally.

We live in an apartment complex and yesterday morning the landscapers applied some kind of pesticide in the grass. There are signs saying "no kids/pets." During our walk, as I was trying to take her to a non-treated area, she had to go so bad she pulled the leash and went into a treated area. She pee'd for about 15 seconds and then got off the grass and back onto pavement.

So our walk continued on pavement, we got the mail, and then I took her to a back section of the apartment where there were no pesticide signs. She foraged a bit through some bushes and mulch as she always does.

As we were turning a corner, she suddenly stopped and just kinda sat down. So I tugged a little (she's pretty stubborn) to no avail. So I went to pick her up, and she was basically completely limp in my arms. No muscle tone/resisting. So I ran her inside, set her down, offered a treat, and she didn't so much as move. It was almost like she was paralyzed. I panicked and raced her to a new vet down the street (we are new to the area.)

She vomited profusely on our drive to the vet and remained limp. I kept checking her eyes (they were open) because I literally thought she was dying in my arms. Vet took her immediately and did a checkup. She had a normal poop on his table (no diarrhea).

-At no time (even during incident) was she panting
-Temp 103.5 - very slightly above normal, vet said not enough to suspect heat exhaustion
-Heart sounded fine, breathing fine, no belly obstructions
-Gums were pale
-No trembling or shaking (this is her first response normally when not feeling great, eg. after spay)
-He did say one of her liver enzymes was slightly off (not very concerning, he said) so we are giving her Denamarin for 30 days
-He gave her an IV bag of fluid and almost immediately he said her gum color improved. An hour later, she was 100% back to normal.

On reflecting about the incident, I very vaguely remember her making a strange noise from her mouth/throat at one point during our walk. Almost like she had chewed something and was gagging or gasping or something. At no time though during her "limpness" did she appear to struggle to breath.

The vet kept saying the heat and pesticide may have caused some "GI distress" and I kept reiterating that she basically collapsed outside (yet no panting.) The GI issues (vomiting in car) happened about 10 minutes later. What really concerns me is the collapse/going limp. My first thought was a neurological reaction.

Do you think the minimal exposure to pesticide caused this? Or perhaps she ate something like insecticide? We are waiting on the landscaping company to give us chemical names. Does this sound like poison exposure or something different? It was all so SUDDEN - a 180 degree decline in a matter of seconds.

The vet really didn't seem too concerned but I was obviously panicked (this dog is my world, as you all understand) and I'm also stressed about walking her today. Going to stick to the dog park where I know they didn't spray.

Thanks in advance!
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Very unusual for a pesticide to have that immediate effect. Obviously it wasn't a heat stroke as the temperature would have been much higher on examination. If she was truly limp and flaccid, as a vet, I would have been concerned about heart function causing loss of oxygen to the brain (causing the dog to pass out). If the heart was normal then I might consider an atypical seizure. Most dogs have rigid symptoms but I have seen some that were flaccid. If it happens again, I would bet on the seizures, especially since the liver enzymes were elevated. Good luck