register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Public, licensed displays only.

At least you know when they're on and can make adjustments as neccessary on walking routines, etc, instead of this nonsense of them going off really loudly at at all times of the day and night.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I actually LOVED dad getting the fireworks out in the buiscit tin
Planting the rocket in the milk bottle and gingerly lighting and running away
Then waiting
Talking about going back to see if it was lit
waiting
then whoooosh

But it gave us a respect for them too - not lighting the things in the car and chucking them at people

I think they should be MUCH more expensive (if they are not going to be banned)
There are many chemicals if I attempted to buy I would end up with the police at my door asking serious questions - but I can get these explosives on 2 for 1 with my weekly shop
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Lighting them is the best bit!

I must live in a weird place because I never hear or see fireworks unless it is Bonfire night or New Years.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Lucky you, its a decent area around here but still kids get them a lark about. They aren't being deliberately annoying and they don't chuck them at people, but still they started letting them off a week ago and that can be any time between dusk and 3am. Its not constant but at some point most nights it happens.

Back on new years 1999/2000 an aluminium cylinder (part of a big firework) came through the corrugated plastic roof which covered our utility room and it still worries me what would have happened if it had hit a person instead.

My dog doesn't care about the big bangs but one of our cats hates them.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Lighting them is the best bit!

I must live in a weird place because I never hear or see fireworks unless it is Bonfire night or New Years.
Lucky!

They've been going off here duing the day - about 12-3pm - totally daylight!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I voted A. I think they're dangerous and a lot of people can't be trusted. Animals and children can get hurt and traumatised. I'm lucky Axel only notices a few extra loud ones and settles well, I used to walk a Staffie boy who would dig through doors and had to be heavily sedated - plus how long they go on for, it's not a few nights it's most of the winter it seems!
I think they should only be available to be seen at proper organised events.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Just thought I'd add to my posts 2 days ago, just found out my rescue Staff is terrified of them, one went off on our walk last night and she nearly pulled me off my feet trying to run home (I'm a big sturdy guy, that's a hell of an achievement) but I still repeat my argument, fireworks ain't the problem, misguided youths are.

As for my dogs I'll have to work on de sensitizing them, funnily enough the 10 month old pup didn't give two hoots (and even though she ignores me 95% of time, I'm sure she ain't deaf! Lol)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 06:26 AM
I voted A, fireworks are getting bigger and noisier these days, they seem to be used for any occasion now. I am lucky we don't have a problem here,

I also know of a young dog that ended up dead because the neighbours had their firework party (not at the appropriate time) but failed to mention it, he managed to strangle himself trying to escape.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I used to enjoy having fireworks as a kid, don't get them now though. Will watch the neighbours if they have any.

I don't think they should just be restricted to licensed events, yes some people abuse them and yes people and other animals get injured, but then, you could argue some drivers abuse cars, don't see anyone suggesting we ban cars, and let's face it, more people and other animals are injured in RTA's than by fireworks.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I used to enjoy having fireworks as a kid, don't get them now though. Will watch the neighbours if they have any.

I don't think they should just be restricted to licensed events, yes some people abuse them and yes people and other animals get injured, but then, you could argue some drivers abuse cars, don't see anyone suggesting we ban cars, and let's face it, more people and other animals are injured in RTA's than by fireworks.
More dogs and animals are severely traumatised by fireworks than by cars.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >