register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2012, 07:11 AM
I voted A.

If the sale of fireworks were strictly regulated as they were when I was a child and a young teenager things might not be so bad and the fact you could only buy them for a limited time prior November 5th. November the 6th cabinets were locked and the general public were not allowed to buy them nor were retailers allowed to sell them after that date.
Today they are available all year round and it seems anyone can buy them and not all seem to check for age either. Things need to go back to how they were or they need to be for public display only.

We always had fireworks when growing up dad was in charge and we had them when my boys were gowing up but sadly now it has got out of hand. It needs to be reigned in. Also I don't remember the awful loud bangs we get now that sound like you might be living in a war zone. If they were like they use to be they might not be so appealing to the types that buy them let them off willy nilly and worry animals and humans with the damn things.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I simply cannot understand why this Nanny state of ours makes a massive fuss over such things as children playing conkers, or hanging baskets over pavements, and then allows the sale of explosives to all and sundry!

That apart, the fact that fireworks are now on general sale and can legally be let off up until 11 at night, on any night, is a complete nightmare for those with phobic animals. You cannot plan for it; at any time from now on until after the New Year your dog, cat or whatever can be mooching around outside when suddenly BANG - and probably ten, twenty or thirty more BANGS. Anyone who has witnessed a truly traumatised pet will probably understand when I say that I would dearly love to see the sale of the dratted things to the general public banned forthwith.

If fireworks were limited to public displays, on one named day a year plus New Year's Eve, then at least people could try to sort something out for their pets, and it would prevent the evil nasties in this world who think it clever to use fireworks as weapons against defenceless animals - or people come to that.

I don't subscribe to the argument that it is not fair to spoil people's fun. I have never believed that fun should override the welfare of animals.
I totally agree and have voted for option A.

I've owned several firework phobic dogs and seen the panic and stress it causes. These dogs had desensitising tapes played to them pretty much since birth but nothing would prepare them for the almost sonic booms which seem to shake the house. On the advice of one vet I crated one dog & partly covered it with a blanket - the dog actually trashed the metal crate to escape.

As I understand it some countries only allow them on New Years Eve.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm another who voted for option A. Whilst I enjoy fireworks there are too many sold to people who should never be allowed to buy them. Yesterday morning at our local common we saw that one of the poo bins had been blown up by a firework and the debris littered the floor. Until they can prevent these types of people from buying them then they should be restricted to licensed events only.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Option A for me too
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I simply cannot understand why this Nanny state of ours makes a massive fuss over such things as children playing conkers, or hanging baskets over pavements, and then allows the sale of explosives to all and sundry!

That apart, the fact that fireworks are now on general sale and can legally be let off up until 11 at night, on any night, is a complete nightmare for those with phobic animals. You cannot plan for it; at any time from now on until after the New Year your dog, cat or whatever can be mooching around outside when suddenly BANG - and probably ten, twenty or thirty more BANGS. Anyone who has witnessed a truly traumatised pet will probably understand when I say that I would dearly love to see the sale of the dratted things to the general public banned forthwith.

If fireworks were limited to public displays, on one named day a year plus New Year's Eve, then at least people could try to sort something out for their pets, and it would prevent the evil nasties in this world who think it clever to use fireworks as weapons against defenceless animals - or people come to that.

I don't subscribe to the argument that it is not fair to spoil people's fun. I have never believed that fun should override the welfare of animals.
I voted option A, for all the excellent points above.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I find fireworks pointless and boring....always have!
Ban them! Yay!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I voted A.

I responded to a thread earlier regarding horses and riders who had had fireworks thrown at them.

Whilst in the park earlier with my Son (8 years old) and his friend (10 years old), a couple of 13/14 yr old lads decided very thoughtfully to light a firework and throw it at me. It's just as well that Oscar and Jake were about 20 yards away and wrapped up in their own thing so didn't see what happened.

Fortunately I wasn't injured. Unfortunately I didn't catch them - maybe just as well. I'd have been locked up for what I would have done to them. They have been reported to the Police but I doubt anything will be done.

When I was growing up we only ever heard fireworks on 5th November. Why can't it be the same?
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 06:11 PM
i voted for public displays too. there are just too many idiots around these days that don't care about the consequences of firing them off at other people or animals. my friend nearly crashed her car a couple of weeks back when one hit it
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry, but I think the original poll is a bit flawed. I think they should be made available for general sale, but only for short durations ie the week of bonfire night, the new year, divali etc. None of my animals are even remotely bothered by them, and as someone who finds it very difficult to attend a public display due to health probs. Sitting in my back garden all wrapped up in a blanket watching hubby setting some off is a lot of fun
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I've never actually understood why anyone would want to have a firework display in their back garden compared to an organised display. Back garden ones when I was a kid consisted of dad carefully getting one firework out of the box, trooping down to the bottom of the garden, lighting it and legging it back to the top of the garden - it going off and then another 5 minute wait while the ritual was repeated again... boring as hell compared to the local school display where they had loads going off at once and the annual "see how they've managed to spell good night at the end of the display wrong this year" ritual.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >