register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 84 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 78 > Last »
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Hi,

I think if one wishes to say someone is desensitized to violence they should specify exactly how.

Personally, I have seen what's left of a body when sopmeone decided to play russian roulette and lost. I am desensitized to violence towards peopel completely (aside from children).

But I fnid CMs methods unacceptable and don't practice them on my dogs.

There is a wide range of sesitivity to all sorts of things - violence included. This needs to be considered when posting on here I believe.

Also there is no voice intonation or facial expression on here. Things that could be said face to face could quite easily cause offence on a forum and because of this I believe we should all try to make our commetns abut others less personal and more objective.

Laura xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Well I caught the tail end of a dog whisperer programme last night. There was CM with Daddy. Daddy was clearly showing signs of fear, his ears were back, his eyes darting about and looking away, he was leaning away from CM then CM made a movement and Daddy turned in an instant to nip at CM's face who pulled away in time. Daddy then went back to looking away, ears still down, frowning and leaning away from the person he is supposed to love.
My lot lean ON me when having a cuddle not away!
Becky
wish I had watched it now,
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Well I caught the tail end of a dog whisperer programme last night. There was CM with Daddy. Daddy was clearly showing signs of fear, his ears were back, his eyes darting about and looking away, he was leaning away from CM then CM made a movement and Daddy turned in an instant to nip at CM's face who pulled away in time. Daddy then went back to looking away, ears still down, frowning and leaning away from the person he is supposed to love.
My lot lean ON me when having a cuddle not away!
Becky
I didn't see it last night Becky, but I know the episode you are talking about. My interpretation of that situation is completely different !! My parents have always had staffies for their last 3 dogs, and the first two staffies both would do exactly what Daddy did to Cesar. It may be a terrier trait, I don't know, but the last time I saw that gesture I remember thinking "gosh that could have been Roly, or Blue Boy".
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Is it on Youtube at all? Id like to see that.
I have no idea, I'm not trawling through every CM vid to find it lol!
Did you see the one that (I think) Promethean posted on here (a backstage type film) where one of CM's dogs went to bite one of the other dogs! Also using people to goad the dogs into getting the bad behaviour they want!
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Simply because I will be the first one to admit that CM is not exactly over the top in showing affection towards his dogs !! So this one stuck in my mind, OK?

To my knowledge, there is only one channel that shows his programmes. We don't have satellite, just the free Sky programme that feature the repeats. Don't know what it is called, but it's on early evening most nights.
That's unbelievably sad, no wonder they aren't happy!

There are at least 3 channels showing his programmes at the moment, well on the ones I was flicking through. I can't even remember the name of the channel it was, may have been Animal Planet, or Eden or Sky or Nat Geo can't remember.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
CC - have you read stuff by other trainers? Ones who use positive methods? It`s just that the things you say you admire - calm, consistent behaviour, clear boundaries etc. are pretty standard in training or teaching.
Can I recommend Jean Donaldson`s Culture Clash if you haven`t already read it?
It`s one of those books you read and go Oh Yes! because she`s putting into logical form the stuff you probably already do instinctively, and explaining ways to manage behaviours in a very positive way.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
CC - have you read stuff by other trainers? Ones who use positive methods? It`s just that the things you say you admire - calm, consistent behaviour, clear boundaries etc. are pretty standard in training or teaching.
Can I recommend Jean Donaldson`s Culture Clash if you haven`t already read it?
It`s one of those books you read and go Oh Yes! because she`s putting into logical form the stuff you probably already do instinctively, and explaining ways to manage behaviours in a very positive way.
I haven't read the book you recommend C & D but I shall have a look on the internet and see if I can get a copy. Thank you for the recommendation
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I didn't see it last night Becky, but I know the episode you are talking about. My interpretation of that situation is completely different !! My parents have always had staffies for their last 3 dogs, and the first two staffies both would do exactly what Daddy did to Cesar. It may be a terrier trait, I don't know, but the last time I saw that gesture I remember thinking "gosh that could have been Roly, or Blue Boy".
Tilly, the first staffy I fostered, does the face nip thing. If she's coming for a cuddle she'll get right in my face, then kind of nip the air (she doesn't go to bite). I took it to be a play thing. Also, I don't see ears back as always a sign of fear. When I'm walking my dogs and they are really enjoying the walk, they put their ears back - we call it 'walking ears'. The second staffy we fostered used to put her ears to far back when walking they would meet in the middle
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Tilly, the first staffy I fostered, does the face nip thing. If she's coming for a cuddle she'll get right in my face, then kind of nip the air (she doesn't go to bite). I took it to be a play thing. Also, I don't see ears back as always a sign of fear. When I'm walking my dogs and they are really enjoying the walk, they put their ears back - we call it 'walking ears'. The second staffy we fostered used to put her ears to far back when walking they would meet in the middle
Agreed, ears back on their own means nothing unless you take into account the other signals a dog gives off. You can't take one aspect of body language on it's own and I don't, I look at the dog as a whole.
Becky
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
That's unbelievably sad, no wonder they aren't happy!

There are at least 3 channels showing his programmes at the moment, well on the ones I was flicking through. I can't even remember the name of the channel it was, may have been Animal Planet, or Eden or Sky or Nat Geo can't remember.
Becky

No, not at all Becky. They just don't get smothered in love and affection. All of his dogs, Daddy included, appear to me to be supremely happy, well balanced dogs.

He used to have what looked like a wolf cross - called Rocco.
Closed Thread
Page 28 of 84 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 78 > Last »