register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I didnt say they should!

really! what point do I have to prove?

and what of us that show and do some form of work with our dogs? all be it sporting forms of work these days? If working dog owners feel better about there dogs by slagging off show dogs, so be it,
I often find in life, when people say negative things about one group of dog owners in an effort to make themselfs feel/look better, then its because they cant bring anything else to the table.
I own both types and I have worked and shown. I am not on any 'side' but I do take issue with anyone who tries to defend the state of a bulldog and seems to be saying that the people who show dogs know better than the people who work them what the dog 'ought' to look like.

Do you feel the same as BD about bulldogs?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm gunna re-post a section from another thread because it's also relevant to this (something in the air today I think).

We researched ESS' and planned Woody for a year yet we ended up with a KC registered, pedigree dog from a KC accredited breeder (first litter) who has an hereditary health defect!

I blame myself every day for this because I feel there was more I should have done to prevent it and that by buying him from them (crappy breeders who I thought were great at the time) I have contributed to something I feel quite strongly about - poor, careless, thoughtless breeding.

So, I would never blame the show breeder and I would never suggest the worker is better in terms of health and longevity.

As for the worked dog being easily disposed of, not to me. If it was up to me I would have Woody last a life time but if he goes early because he's from working stock then there is nothing I personally can do about it.

Show, worker, dual, pedigree, mongrel I don't care, the most important thing to me is that all breeders are focusing solely on the health and longevity of the breed, not the appearance of it.
Agree wholeheartedly with the last bit---but would like to add temperament to the list.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
<<<<If you stopped generalising people for one second, when you haven't even met them, I feel you'd learn a damn sight more than you are at the moment.>>>>

We are all generalising.

What do you think I need to learn?

rune
Are we? Another generalisation! Sorry, couldn't help it!

I think it'd help to have a more open mind when it comes to show breeders/exhibitors. To say show people go wrong because they only breed with looks in mind is a very closed way of looking at things!

It's like me saying all working Springers are ugly, queen anne legged, cripples! How could I say this when I haven't met every single one on the planet? The answer is I can't! I've got proof that the vast majority of them aren't health tested, but that doesn't mean all of them are.......
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I own both types and I have worked and shown. I am not on any 'side' but I do take issue with anyone who tries to defend the state of a bulldog and seems to be saying that the people who show dogs know better than the people who work them what the dog 'ought' to look like.

Do you feel the same as BD about bulldogs?

rune
where the hell did BD's come from, I said nothing about BD's you quoted a post from me, and to be honest I thought your quote was quite abrupt, as it was me that was quoted I can only assume its directed at me.
I have stated already in this thread, I base my opinions on rotties,
I did say in the post you quoted
though I do understand that in collies the split is pretty big so finding a breeder that can produce both working/show quality pups may be a task.
yet you felt the need to come back and bite about working sheep dog owners? why?
my mates are farmers! I know they dont give a fig about looks, I work there collies with the sheep regularly,

I have no problem with you taking issue over the BD health problems, just dont take them with me,

as to show people knowing better than working people....

well I think untill you have been on both sides, as I have then you will never fully understand the pros and cons of each side, I do firmly believe in many breeds there are pros and cons in each type show and working, if breeders could work together then poss better dogs could be produced on both sides.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I was answering a post which said that Bernese looked OK but didn't live long. That seemed to me to indicate that the poster felt that looks were important and was surprised that in spite of looking OK they had a short life expectancy, I was pointing out that show breeders did breed for looks and that in doing so although the Bernese looked OK it had hidden health problems due to being bred too big---in the same way that great danes do.

I repeat---I have had dogs I have shown and I have had dogs I have worked in various hobby ways.

You also seem to have missed my post where I said that farmers etc can't be bothered as a rule to extend the gene pool as it is easier to stay local.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:01 PM
where the hell did BD's come from, I said nothing about BD's you quoted a post from me, and to be honest I thought your quote was quite abrupt, as it was me that was quoted I can only assume its directed at me.
I have stated already in this thread, I base my opinions on rotties,
I did say in the post you quoted

yet you felt the need to come back and bite about working sheep dog owners? why?
my mates are farmers! I know they dont give a fig about looks, I work there collies with the sheep regularly,

I have no problem with you taking issue over the BD health problems, just dont take them with me,

as to show people knowing better than working people....

well I think untill you have been on both sides, as I have then you will never fully understand the pros and cons of each side,.
OK--take a breath---this is a complete muddle!

I was answering Borderdawn---and I shortened it to BD---sorry!

I never mentioned wsd owners---where did that come from?

I started by giving a list of 3 breeds that are not well constructed and have health problems----bulldogs specifically and IMO unarguably----except that Borderdawn says not.

I have been on both sides and to be honest there isn't a whisker between them IMO. There are some good some bad and some indifferent on both
'sides' It is a shame we can't just be on the side of the dogs.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:06 PM
OK--take a breath---this is a complete muddle!

I was answering Borderdawn---and I shortened it to BD---sorry!

I never mentioned wsd owners---where did that come from?

I started by giving a list of 3 breeds that are not well constructed and have health problems----bulldogs specifically and IMO unarguably----except that Borderdawn says not.

I have been on both sides and to be honest there isn't a whisker between them IMO. There are some good some bad and some indifferent on both
'sides' It is a shame we can't just be on the side of the dogs.

rune
cool I see where the confusion has came in,
re the working sheep dog thing, I was refering to you mentioning farmers not giving a fig what there sheep dogs looked like.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Found the post you mean Shona---apologies I did say sheep dogs.

It goes for any working dogs though---as long as they work looks are secondary.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:07 PM
cool I see where the confusion has came in,
re the working sheep dog thing, I was refering to you mentioning farmers not giving a fig what there sheep dogs looked like.
Found it and sorted!

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Found the post you mean Shona---apologies I did say sheep dogs.

It goes for any working dogs though---as long as they work looks are secondary.

rune
I do understand the looks being secondary, though the farm collies my pal has still look very much like collies {I think, what I know about show collies you could write on the back of a stamp }

but in many breeds wouldnt it be so nice to have a nice balanced dog that looks like the breed standard that can also do a days work.
which is kinda what I feel we have with most of the show rotties,

its the byb that seem to be producing dogs that no bits of them are hangging the right way.
Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »