View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Dear Nippy - Don't worry about your OH's future if he goes on to insulin dependency. They found out I had diabetes by accident after my blood had become so thick it gave me a heart attack. That was in 2003 and I was put on Insulin immediately. Makes life very manageable once you get the hang of it and the needles nowadays are only tiny so there is lttle or no pain involved. You learn to adjust your insulin intake as required e.g. went out for dinner last night and just prior to setting off had afew extra units ate basically what I wanted. Problem solved. It seems a big deal when the prognosis is first encountered but please believe me it is no worse than a mild inconvenience. Hope it works out well for him, please show him this post if you think it can help in any way. Bye fer now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks Gordon, I will do.
I am ex RGN although it was 10+ years that I retired.
So it will be me doing it or me teaching him Lol
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Yes Nippy It will probably be Diet controlled at first & see how he goes on that. If no effect after losing some weight He will probably go on tablets. OH only ended up on Insulin cos he had to go on Steroids for 12 months & it played havoc with his sugar. He takes it in his stride now though - just alters his insulin according to what his Blood sugar is at the time. Or eats a bit of something sweet if its a bit low.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Ouch Had to open a bottle of Jameson's...I have toothache doesn't half hurt but the good old whiskey is numbing it a bit Maybe best just to drink it,get really drunk and pass out
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh no Eileen hope the whiskey works.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Well I've dozing on and off all evening .... hopeless, but it has been lovely

Helena I enjoy driving but not in heavy traffic. Tomorrow should be nice and quiet although I now have loads of things to catch up on and I do have a dental appointment at 11.20. Your garden is looking fab .... so much colour
Nippy Sorry Brian has been diagnosed diabetic (bordeline) but as has already been said it may well be able to be managed by diet. You'll have to continue to make your lovely cakes and just let us all eat them
Bev You poor thing ((hugs)). I hope you get a good night sleep tonight.
Lord Gord That was harsh you having a heart attack all those years ago and must have been a shock and real eye-opener. It sounds as though you lead a very healthy outdoor life now though what with walking your dogs and the boundaries of your estate
Lynn Poor Dillon giving himself such a shock . Hopefully he'll forget about it next time you ask him to come in from the garden
Lynne I don't blame you not telling your OH about clambering over those rocks today ........ you are lucky you didn't get loads of grazes from the barnacles ..... that would have given you some explaining as to how you got them
Lacey It sounds as though you've had a lovely day spoiling your Mum and I hope she has a lovely day tomorrow. You ought to cherish days like today with her and pop them in your memory bank to recall in years to come
June Aw that must have been hard having such a young baby with diabetes.

My younger son has just arrived back from work and the gym so I'm going to go and cook him a meal ...... thank goodness it is Friday tomorrow and he'll be off out after work.

Sleep well all and see you tomorrow.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Pass the whiskey please Eileen as I also have agonising toothache - I have a nasty feeling that one of my crowned back molars is going to break off just like a bottom one did a year or so ago.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 08:44 PM
hello all sorry haven't read through all the posts, hope good days have been had by all.

dying of a carb coma after eating too much, feel worse for that than i did after hobbling the marathon on a gamy foot (that i've since found out was stress fractured!)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pass the whiskey please Eileen as I also have agonising toothache - I have a nasty feeling that one of my crowned back molars is going to break off just like a bottom one did a year or so ago.
Ah no I just tried warm water with lots of salt in,swished it around my mouth for about 20 secs and it's working way better than the whiskey Malka
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Hold on Lacey, help is at hand, clear a patch in the back garden so I can land the 'copter and I'll be there for you - Pliers in hand! Can,t just sit back and see a Lady suffer. I am nothing if not helpful. Bye fer now.
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >