Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Malka, livestock is livestock. Sheep are not the only animals!!
And that dog was totally out of control among livestock.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-10-2013, 04:46 PM
after the attacks we had earlyer in the year with the two dogs chasing our cattle,
then yes i think we have every right, and or though i didnt update the thread with the end result the two dogs came back and my boss did shoot one of them,
no owner around no tag and no micro chip,
we put posters up and after a couple days of hearing nothing we give it a respectful grave on the land, but sadly because of its owner it had to be killed
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I think as dog owners we have a duty to make sure our dogs are under control at all times. And if a dogs is worrying live stock the farmer should have the right to shoot it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
I think as dog owners we have a duty to make sure our dogs are under control at all times. And if a dogs is worrying live stock the farmer should have the right to shoot it.
Yes if the law allows for the farmer to do that they are within their rights. I'm sure not all farmers would immediately shoot offending dogs anyway. But, if people feel strongly that they shouldn't have the 'right to shoot' then what they should be doing is petitioning to get the law changed. Not allowing their pets to be in breach of the law and complaining about those who are acting within the law.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I can see this a bit from both sides. What if say you know your dog worries live stock but while walking him down a muddy path with him on lead you slip and let go of the lead. Your dog takes off and gets shot, not because you are an irresponsible owner, but just because you slipped.

I understand that farmers should and do have the right to protect their livestock but at the same time I do worry for those owners who have had very back luck while trying to walk their dogs. I also think that if they could use dart guns and just knock the dogs out then that would be much better for owners with bad luck and maybe the farmers conscience and the owner should pay for any loses, but for the owners who just don't give a dam them I can see how it could get out of control. But then again the owners who don't care will probably just get another dog and do it all over again, while the caring owner will be forever blaming themselves and restrict to walking their dogs far far away from livestock which is becoming increasingly difficult.
I think I have finished flipping the coin!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I can see this a bit from both sides. What if say you know your dog worries live stock but while walking him down a muddy path with him on lead you slip and let go of the lead. Your dog takes off and gets shot, not because you are an irresponsible owner, but just because you slipped.

I understand that farmers should and do have the right to protect their livestock but at the same time I do worry for those owners who have had very back luck while trying to walk their dogs. I also think that if they could use dart guns and just knock the dogs out then that would be much better for owners with bad luck and maybe the farmers conscience and the owner should pay for any loses, but for the owners who just don't give a dam them I can see how it could get out of control. But then again the owners who don't care will probably just get another dog and do it all over again, while the caring owner will be forever blaming themselves and restrict to walking their dogs far far away from livestock which is becoming increasingly difficult.
I think I have finished flipping the coin!
Good points SJ.

The way I see it is pretty simple:

The dog's life means more to its owner than the life of livestock to the farmer - where it is simply a business asset. It is not a pet, it is not part of the family, it is not a friend who you have lived with everyday for a decade - it is a commodity, a commodity that they are going to send off to be killed for meat. The relationship is not equal - nowhere near equal. I would be surprised if any dog lover would even begin to think they are.

Tranquillisers should be considered instead. Or research done into other methods - would horns or firing loud guns be sufficient to scare the dog for example? What about good ol fashioned shepherds and sheep dogs on patrol? Failing that, there are laws to protect people's property and they should be pursued instead - just like a shopkeeper or any other businessman has to when any of his property is stolen or damaged.

Killing the dog is not acceptable imo.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I think you are being unfair to farmers there, many care deeply for their flocks. My grandfather was a stockman and would cry the day before they went to slaughter, he wasn't alone many farmers and farm workers care for their animals.

IMO no animal is really more important than another, and no matter why your dog is out of control people have a right to protect their animals from being mauled.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I think you are being unfair to farmers there, many care deeply for their flocks. My grandfather was a stockman and would cry the day before they went to slaughter, he wasn't alone many farmers and farm workers care for their animals.

IMO no animal is really more important than another, and no matter why your dog is out of control people have a right to protect their animals from being mauled.
I didn't say or don't think that they don't care (or at least some anyway).

But the relationship is no where near equal. A dog is part of your family, many owners let their dogs sleep with them, go with them everywhere, speak to them, turn to them when they need cheering up. Dogs are huge parts of many people's lives. Studies show losing a dog can be as traumatic as losing a family member.

I'm sorry but it is no where near the same thing or even begins to get close.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I am not saying that isn't so to each of us who own a dog but that is a personal thing it doesn't mean dogs are more important than other creatures and certainly doesn't mean they should be treated differently just because we love them by others. To the farmer the dog is not his responsibility the sheep are his to protect, the dog is for us to protect. Protect them by keeping them away from sheep !
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:34 PM
I have to disagree with you here Azz.

Of course we all adore our dogs, but if we allow one or more of our dogs to turn sheep worrier/killer then surely we have to accept the consequences. Once a dog has done it, it will move heaven and earth to do it again and not every owner has it in them to be totally on the ball.

I certainly would not condone shooting randomly any dog amongst a flock, but I can fully understand a farmer that finds a dog, or dogs, ripping into his flock or chasing pregnant ewes until they abort, shooting the culprit.

Farmers absolutely hate doing it, but sometimes I believe that they have no choice. Yes, it is livelihood against family pet - but I do think that farmers have enough to contend with at the moment, without being pilloried for trying to protect their livestock.
Page 4 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »