Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 02:01 AM

Who lives in a flat and has dogs?

How practical is it?
For things like taking them out for a wee, barking etc...

Just having a think about the future and was always going to go for a small house as my first place, but was just having a quick look at flats too... hence the questions!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 02:43 AM
When I did voluntary work for a local rescue I rehomed a dog to a young couple who lived in a first floor flat/apartment.

The dog is still there today (she's been there abut 18 months now). The couple established a routine with the dog from day 1 - took her out morning, noon, night and last thing to toilet and she has extra time for long walks in the local park with a lake each day.

The don't have any issues with barking as far as I know. They have a small balcony which isn't a balcony as such as you couldn't put a chair out there and sit outside. But the dog can get out there. She has been known to bark at teh local kids who were being quite rowdy apparently but that was a one off occasion. She has no reason to bark in the house bu she is allowed to release all her energy on her walks so she can bark to her heart's content in the park.

Both of them work nd the dog is left in an open crate with her kong, chews, toys etc which is in the kitchen with the door shut.

There have never been any complaints from the neighbours there and althugh they had a few accidents onthe floor to begin with, it was just until a proper routine was established.

That's about all I know. Some dogs adjust to living ina flat brilliantly whereas others hate it. IME people who live in flats take their dogs out and spend more time with them than people who live in huge houses, with big gardens and are able to do much as they please.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I live in a flat with Kestral.

We live on the 1st floor but it is not a block as such, we live above a cafe with just one neighbor.

There's a stretch of grass out the front and tbh without that it might be a bit of a pain having to walk to find grass.
I take Kestral out when I get up - sometimes if there's too many people / traffic she will not go for a poop so I walk her down a quiet road with grass verges. If I start later like today (11am) I will take her to the park.

Then she normally gets taken out for another walk and a wee and poo before bed.

Quite honestly there is nothing impractical about it for me. The neighbours are no closer than they would be in a terraced house.
I like the fact I know when she has been to the toilet.
I spend lots of time with her walking her and entertaining her as she doesn't have the space to do it herself.

She is 10 times better behaved than at the parents where she pops upstairs, cat hunts, charges round the garden, jumps in the pond, shakes wet over the kitchen, puts muddy paws on sofa etc!! She seems happy too which is the main thing.
We also have the gsd to stay with no issues either
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I live in a flat with Rupert. I also lived in a flat when I got him. He barks now and then but no more than he did in a house. Getting him out for a pee is easy enough, just put a leash on and take him out. It's less convenient than just opening the door and letting him out into the garden but no big deal. And it means he absolutely HAS to be walked. We have a tiny balcony but he won't use it for toilet purposes. He likes to lie out there in warm weather though.

Marking in the communal area can be a problem sometimes, thankfully not one I've had with Rupert although I'm very careful just in case someone elses dog has marked and he decides to mark over it.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I've lived in a flat with a dog before, she was a small breed (Japanese chin) so it was fairly easy tbh. I took her to work with me so barking wasn't really an issue and I'd take her out for a walk at least three times a day. We had a roof terrace but as she'd only pee on grass, I'd have to take her to the local park/grass verges.
I think the main obstacle to having a dog in a flat is if you are renting, they more often have a 'no pets' rule than say a family house with a garden?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I used to live in a two bedroom flat with my old collie x. He now lives in a 5 bedroom farmhouse surrounded by acres of land and with other dogs. Can't say it's made much difference to him - I'd say dogs are more time intensive than space intensive. Spending a lot of time training a dog in a wee flat is ten times better than doing nothing with it in a massive garden.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone! That is very helpful

Well it is because I don't want to rent, I want to buy, and flats are more affordable for a first time buyer!

I did/do want a larger dog when i move out too (as long as the "conditions" were right), so was worried about barking as I know some dogs are more vocal than others

Tbh if I do get a flat and don't get another dog, or get another smaller dog, my parents said they would look after Alfie/small dogs when I was out at work, so barking wouldn't really be an issue with him!

Maybe as a first place, if I just stick with me and Alfie and can take him to my parents, it would be okay....

Just a lot of decisions and working things out!

Was more curious if it was practical, but it seems it is
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Guess it depends on the dog, and your neighbours!!

Ben isn't really a barky dog, so I can't offer any experience of this - but in terms of walking I can't say it made much difference, just open door, walk downstairs and off you go for a walk

My siser used to have a Rottweiler in a teeny wee 1 bedroom flat, he was out and about with her constantly though so what difference does it make, it's basically just where they sleep and eat isn't it?
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:43 AM
That's true!

I wouldn't want to stay there forever anyway, more just as a "buy something cheap to get on the property ladder and get my own place" type place!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:48 AM
yeah I know what you mean!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >