Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:24 PM

Stitches - When to be taken out

I'm a bit worried, a week last Monday my Ozzie had his plums taken off. He had a bad time of it after the operation and had to go back nearly every other day for anti-inflametry injections. Anyway he was going to be having his stiches out on Tuesday this week, but on Monday vet said to leave it till Thursday.

Well this Thursday turned out to be a Bank Holiday here - he obviously had forgotten. Went down Thursday and Vets was closed, went down today and its closed again. I'm getting a little concerned is it safe to leave the stitches in past the time they were due to come out. This is probably a stupid question but am unsure.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:49 PM
well its not a stupid question if you are worried

I would say if the wound is nice and clean and dry then no need to worry just get them taken out as soon as you can
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:52 PM
no, you definately dont have to worry if the wound looks nice and healed you can take them out by yourself
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by JacekPacek View Post
no, you definately dont have to worry if the wound looks nice and healed you can take them out by yourself
God, I couldn't do that. As it is I have to get OH to clean it 3 times a day, I can hardly bare to look. OH says he wouldn't be keen to take stitches out either.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 03:07 PM
he he
than just wait till monday
he will be ok
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 05:27 PM
When my bitch was spayed she had her stitches taken out after 13 days (due to it falling on a Bank Holiday weekend). This was perfectly fine, my vets said anytime between 10 and 14 days so I should think you are fine to wait until Monday