View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I chose Estrelas because I wanted a dog that would protect me and my family, and because they are very beautiful and laid back. My JRT because she was just too cute not to have, and my Mal because she was the OH's choice of breed, not really my cup of tea but I have been converted and love her to bits.
Secret Santa
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Because I fell in love with a gamekeeper!

I was allowed a dog on the condition that it was a gundog and I'd work it! Along came Misty and I'm hooked on spaniels, although I love various gundog breeds!

I'd never be without a spaniel and a lab! And we'll see about the GSP once he's all growed up!!

Eta, forgot I was still logged on as Santa!! Whoops!!!
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I have always loved scenthounds,we had Beagles growing up and I used to follow the lakeland fell packs of Harriers & Foxhounds years ago,so I had a bit of experience of scenthounds.

I spotted Craven up for rehome,and I thought why not,he's just a big Beagle really.

Then nearly 2 months ago I saw Flint in our local rescue,he's a scenthound x of some description,and I couldn't resist him.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I grew up with the GSD since the age of 6 I like the versatility of the breed you can train them to do anything that other breeds do.
The CPs I got because I wanted a smaller breed but with similiar characteristics of the GSD after all the CPs were the original Border Patrol dogs
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Secret Santa View Post
Because I fell in love with a gamekeeper!

I was allowed a dog on the condition that it was a gundog and I'd work it! Along came Misty and I'm hooked on spaniels, although I love various gundog breeds!

I'd never be without a spaniel and a lab! And we'll see about the GSP once he's all growed up!!

Eta, forgot I was still logged on as Santa!! Whoops!!!
I was going to say i thought you had working line Reindeer ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I could not have a dog when I was a child and I was bonkers about horses and although I could not have one of those they were, paradoxically more accessible to me via stables where I could work my socks of for the return of the odd free ride.

I was always a GSD person and wanted one for years, however, nothing came along. I got my first dog a mutt when I was abroad.

Before I came back to the UK I still wanted a GSD but then I read a description of a Weimaraner, it intrigued me and I researched the breed when I returned (no internet for me then).

I got my first.

3 further Weimaraners and a few years later I decided I wanted something else and it was a toss up between a GSD or a BSD (Malinois); I got the GSD I dreamed of.

I am lucky, I have the two breeds I set my heart on all those years ago.

I like both for different reasons. I love the independence, athleticism and joie de vivre of my ghosts, but I also adore the very special relationship I have with my GSD.

I love the looks of both.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I chose Clumbers because our friends have two and I have always loved them, I also wanted dogs known for their nice temperment and calm nature, in the past I had a Collie X, my heart ruled my head getting him, I paid £20 for him from a hippie in a pub because I felt so sorry for him, he was about 8 weeks old and looked scared and dirty while the group of people that brought him in just got drunk, I had him 14 years still miss him today
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Both my crosses have been rescues and accidentally acquired so not chosen for their particular breed cross. I certainly wouldn't own another GSD x Akita and I think it is a ridiculous cross to even exist!I have chosen my future breed, toller, because I want a gundog, I like the size, I want an active intelligent dog who's keen to train, enjoys toys and dog sports. I also think they are pretty
I'm sorry you feel like this Moon's Mum cos my GSD x Akita has been one of the best (if not the best) dog I've ever owned. I've always said that if I could guarantee that they would be like Willow I would happily have another five or six of them tomorrow

All my current dogs are rescue and not really chosen as such but all have GSD in them but this could be because people have seen me with one and assumed that's what I want and then proceed to tell me of others that need help
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Im a Border Collie person through and through, A breed that I have been round since I was in nappies
When my Dad came out of the army after the war, the first dog he and my mother owned was a Border Collie called Jip, then they had Bruce a JRT X.....another breed that I love.

So we have both breeds I just love the Border Collie zest for life, their greed to perform tasks, and their buzz of brain overload/working out as for the JRT well I admire their ''big dog'' in a ''little dog body'' and their characters.

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Jake was a rescue, and an unknown cross... so, I didn't exactly choose his 'breed/cross' I just fell in love with a beautiful pup
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >