Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:08 AM

being spayed?

Should a bitch have a first season before being spayed?
We were told at the RSPCA that Tilly must be spayed (fair enough!)& were given a voucher.
Well she will be 6 months next month so I made the appointment for May & was asked did I want her to have a season first? which I don't if there's no need to.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:26 AM
I think so. Check with your vet, but I'm pretty sure most like them to have one season, some even like two.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
oh I didn't know that
That'll explain why she said "vet A will do it but vet B won't"
Not sure what to do now, will ring them up and ask I think - Also RSPCA said we should get her done at 6 months as part of the conditions when adopting.
So can anyone tell me why they should have a season first? Is it for health reasons?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Vets these days are taught it makes no real difference whether she has a season or not .
You will find that people have very strong views about this and some people say they should have 1 or even 2 seasons first . If you don't want your girl to have a season take your vets advice on this . They are the ones who know
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Suzie many vets agree if there is a choice it is not a good idea to spay a bitch either just before or just after a season because there is though to be a greater chance of excessive bleeding at this time and it is preferable to spay mid way between seasons when the hormone cycle is not so active.

As many bitches have their first season at six months, mid way between seasons is around nine months, or three months from the start of the first season.

This is when I like to spay bitches and I never have any problems. I would discuss the timing with your vet before going ahead.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree that I wouldn't like to spay a bitch before her first season and also that spaying is best done midway between seasons.

I have heard of many people that do have their bitches spayed before the first season but, unless there was a very good reason (i.e. if I had an intact boy in the house and was worried he would "get to her") then I definitely would wait until between she's had at least one season
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I spayed Selkie when she was a puppy, before her first season and Kismet I waited until after her first season, then had her spayed (On Wednesday)...

I think in hindsight I prefer Selkie and in future would seriously consider spaying before the first season... Selkie bounced back from the operation much better and quicker as a puppy and seems to have kept a much more mellow and puppy like demeanor without those raging girl hormones that Kismet got along with her first season... It may just be their different personalities. But Kismet seems a more mature doggy dog than Selkie and of the two I prefer my Selkie bear.

Jury's out on the health issue... Can't seem to get two vets to agree.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your'e replys I understand now!
I would like to get her done sooner rather than later - but not sure now. I might not know if she is in season? or is it really obvious? (a bloke on the field told me his dog is so clean it's hard to know when his dog is in season) How long does it last - I'd be worried taking her out !
The date we've booked she will be 6 months & 2 weeks (providing the age is correct from RSPCA)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Kismet didn't get her first season until she was nearly 11 months old! Although she was very clean, very little blood.. There was no mistaking her state... She was very obviously swollen in her girly bits and fretful and whiny. She tried to dig out of the garden and when this failed sat in the middle and howled!

There's no mistaking it

I was worried about that too. Fortunately for me and him, Pharaoh wasn't the least bit interested, but Selkie had to keep her head down for a few weeks an Kismet would attack her for no reason... All those raging hormones poor thing
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
We were advised by Amy's breeder and our vet to let her have one season before spaying to ensure her body was fully mature, she had her first season just after she turned 6 months old I am now waiting the 3 months as advised before booking her in.

She is due to be spayed next month.

ETA: Amy's season was fairly obvious as she bled, season lasts about 3 weeks, she was very clingy but apart from that she was her normal self, i would be wary spaying so close to the 6 month mark and would be inclined to wait until after her season. JMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >