Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
glock339
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Small dome like growth on dogs ear!

Hi everyone. A couple of weeks ago I notice a tiny bump on my 11 month old Staffy's ear. As it was only about the size of a pin head I thought nothing of it. It has since grew to aprox over half a centimeter in diameter, it's hard and dome shaped. It seems to have stopped growing now and has just started turning a slightly redish colour. I know lumps are just about impossible to diagnose without an expensive visit to the vets and a biopsy, but I was really hoping someone could offer me some advice as I'm getting a bit concerned.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

26-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Can you move it about a bit - if so it could well be a tick, and then you have the option of taking it off yourself, getting the vet to take it off or waiting for it to drop off. It could also be a "blood blister" caused by a small vein leaking as a result of a bump Or a small cyst or similar caused by a bit of thorn or something. Kath.

PS If it is a tick then don't try pulling it straight off, they have to be twisted off.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I tend to be a 'let's squeeze it and see what happens' kind of person. As has been said if it is moveable it could well be a tick. Can you supply a picture may help.
Becky
glock339
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm no expert but I really don't think its a tick.

I have had as much of a squeeze as I dared without causing the little chap any discomfort! Its completely unmovable and looks to be very much part of his skin. It went slightly red where I had applied pressure, as you would expect from skin. It originally started off looking like a small hard spot, which grew to over half a centimeter over about two or three weeks. Its still quite hard and has gone from a spot like shape to a dome. After having a good feel I think its actually globe shaped, but you can only see half of it protruding from the inside tip of his ear.

I'm afraid I don't have the know how to post a pic.

Thanks again.
Gary.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Sounds similar to a histiocytoma (do a google search, you'll find a lot!).
Not always expensive to treat, they can usually be sorted by a course of antibiotics. Sometimes they go away themselves.

Take a trip to your vet, thats the best advice
glock339
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Yep I agree. Ive had a look at my friends Boxer that has a diagnosed histiocytoma near his eye. Its quite unusual as its usually younger dog who are affected and he's about 8 years old now. His has become ulcerated, which is when a vet will prescribe antibiotics to prevent the open tissue becoming infected. The vet also told him that it should naturally regress after about 3 months, as removal was not recommended due to its location next to the eye. Thanks again for everyone's help!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 04:28 PM
My Rosie had a histiocytoma this time last year, she's nearly 8 now, so they do crop up on older dogs too. Rosie's was on the inside of her ear, this was the thread : http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=34260