Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 03:35 PM

How can i get my pup to stay down?!?!?

My 3 month old SBT will not go into the down position unless she crawls underneath my leg!! I've been taking her to puppy classes and the instructor advised of crouching down with one leg stretched out infront of me and the other in the kneeling position. I then feed her treat through my leg so that she follows and goes down. This is all fine; she'll do this no problem with my leg there but if i tell her to go down as a command, without me getting into this position she just wont do it, but it's almost as if she doesnt understand!!!

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by MissyPink
My 3 month old SBT will not go into the down position unless she crawls underneath my leg!! I've been taking her to puppy classes and the instructor advised of crouching down with one leg stretched out infront of me and the other in the kneeling position. I then feed her treat through my leg so that she follows and goes down. This is all fine; she'll do this no problem with my leg there but if i tell her to go down as a command, without me getting into this position she just wont do it, but it's almost as if she doesnt understand!!!

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated
You're quite right I'd think in that she doesn't yet understand - dogs tend to use body language a lot for commands although we tend to forget that when training.

I'd think you want to make a definite movement of your arm downwards under your leg with lots of repetitions, then gradually do the same body motions (ie getting down on the floor, moving your arms the same etc ) but perhaps try without the outstretched leg.

You may find she then cottons on. (If you use a clicker, you can "shape" her a bit towards the down too, or capture a down ).

When waiting for her to work out what to do, just try waiting her out a tiny bit - sometimes dogs may take up to 30 seconds to make up their minds what to do. It's great when you can see the cogs ticking over

Try it and see
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 04:14 PM
my 5 YEAR old staffie still is reluctant to go into a down - will sit etc just hates the down position - I put it down to his back leg problem as he has hip dysplacia and wondered whether as a young pup he found it painful to do this.

However also staffies dont generally lie in the same way other dogs do - ie: they like to lie legs splayed out behind them frog style so I wondere if thats something to do with it too??

I found the only way to do it is to get him to sit and then use a treat right in front of hios nose pulling it down to the ground in front of him so he has to lie down to get it. Somnetimes though it has the opposite effect and he ends up with his nose on the ground but his bum in the air !!! LOL
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 05:46 PM
HI there

She will learn in time. She is still very much a baby and too much too soon can be quite confusing for her. Just keep doing what your trainer advises you to do and she will learn as she gets older. I don't think she understands yet what you want her to do.

Good luck
Annie
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 06:34 PM
How can I get my pup to stay down? Give it time. Until your pup understands you will not have success
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys.

Will keep your advice in mind.

darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by MissyPink

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated
I'm no expert but I would agree that at 3 mnths she probably doesn't understand,I am interested in the technique though as my trainer advises to "suddenly and sharply" push the dog down and over slightly by her shoulders .. suddenly and sharply to avoid them locking their legs.... my girl instantly rolls onto her back in submission, so I think she sees this as dominance/agression and does not down properly...will try your method I think!

Rachel
jeannette
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by darasa
I'm no expert but I would agree that at 3 mnths she probably doesn't understand,I am interested in the technique though as my trainer advises to "suddenly and sharply" push the dog down and over slightly by her shoulders .. suddenly and sharply to avoid them locking their legs.... my girl instantly rolls onto her back in submission, so I think she sees this as dominance/agression and does not down properly...will try your method I think!

Rachel
Hi

I would beware of any 'trainer' that encourages you to push/pull your dog into any position . In the end all your dog will learn is that you are unpredictable and sometimes shove her to the floor when she least expects it or she will start to resist you pushing her.

The best method is to lure her into position and then reward when she gets it right, believe me she will learn much quicker this way