Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Neutered male being humped

My daughter has a springer who is just over a year old. He was neutered 3 months ago. Four weeks ago we walked him with my bitches and a friend's entire gsd who became besotted by him and every time he stopped he tried to hump him.

Last Sunday she went for a walk with her friend's two springers that he has known since a puppy and they were desperate to hump him and kept jumping on him. He is so good natured and just took it all, but it it spoilt the walk because he wasn't able to run around and explore. When they got home his tail seemed to hurt, perhaps from being constantly jumped upon and held by the other dogs.

Does any one have any idea whether this will carry on or if there is something that will help?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Afraid it looks like it can be a side effect
Ben has that special aftershave that make other males VERY interested in him
Not as bad as you describe but often after a friendly greeting I have to step in and call him away because the other dog is trying to hump - I have even seen male dogs sniffing him then their teeth chittering and them drooling like he is a bitxh in heat
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Thankfully Jake has never had that problem, one or two dogs have humped him but the vast majority we meet show no interest at all... he has more dogs act aggressively towards him than overly interested.

I was walking with an entire male today, and a new dog joined who is neutered... the entire dog did not relent the whole walk, and was constantly trying to hump the other dog... he tries to hump everything that moves though, so that could be the reason...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 04:19 PM
It is a side effect of being castrated prepubescently & the oestrogen produced by the adrenal gland can produce Adrenal sex hormone imbalance & hence male dogs become attractive to other male dogs-one good reason against prepubescence castration in dogs
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I thought it was too early but it was not my decision to make. Seems as if she will just have to live with the problem. At least he is usually too busy with his ball and interesting smells when out to have much contact with other dogs.

Perhaps no more walks with entire males.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i I have even seen male dogs sniffing him then their teeth chittering and them drooling like he is a bitxh in heat

Oh is that what that is.... wondered what was up with Samson but Sasha has just been in season, Duh but it has been a long time since we had a male dog