View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Jacub does this, not very often but usually after a weekend in the forest.

I have never had a dog do it before and was quite concerned the first time. I keep an eye on him but the episodes don't last long and he seems none the worse for it

Take care.

Seoniad.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Crickey, you seem to be well used to it with Lodger there Sosha, and yes, it certainly covers all causes there!

The reason I got so concerned this morning, is it went on a bit too long for my liking, intermittent as we made our way back to the car, you feel so helpful, although I tried rubbing her throat. I suspect mine was an irritant, as I had stood there chatting to a lady with two dogs, and Zena had her nose poked into some soft, weedy, grass with lots of little flowers in there,
Should stop referring to him as "The lodger" really - pretty clear he's a permanent resident! The wood burner was not much fun because he really couldn't stop and it was a way before we could get out of whatever it was

Could have sniffed pollen or something up her nose? Sounds like she's got rid of it.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, you learn something everyday on here don't you?
Have just watched the video and realised that this is what Sam used to do, particularly during the summer months and
particularly when he went into certain types of grasses both in the Uk and over here. I took him to the vet at one point - can't remember what she said it was, but certainly not this. I always assumed myself it was some sort of allergy akin to hay fever, so I was almost right.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Both mine did this alot when they were younger
most often when they had been sniffing in damp grass so I just assumed they had snorted a raindrop

The chest of the wee dog in the clip tho it does look powerful!! mush hurt a bit
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Shadow used to do this a lot, never really bothered him and there were never any after effects. Rupert does it occasionally. Scared my hubby to death first time Rupe did it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Is she carrying any extra weight?
No, quite the opposite in fact, I think she's too thin but the vet says she's spot on, so it's not a weight issue.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Flippin heck!!! That Zena really puts you through the mill!!

Think when mine have done it I thought it was hyperventilating.... so now i know, it is reverse sneezing... seems an odd name for it tho, so I will impress eversuffering husband next time with my new found knowledge

Seems quite common too.

xxx
kateh8888
New Member!
Female 

17-08-2011, 12:42 PM
This is so weird...I was literally coming onto this forum to look into this! My one year old, Willow, does it quite often and it always scares me, especially at night. Good to know she isn't the only one out there!

Thank you for the link to the video.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh you poor thing.........it is horribly scary when it happens isn't it, especially if it goes on for any length of time. Jimmi often does it, and our last dog Bitz sometimes did it whilst eating - now that was REALLY frightening, because she would try to carry on scoffing and I was convinced that she would choke to death.

It's strange that there are so many suspected causes for it; I know that some of the dogs in the kennels would do it when out walking, especially if they were pulling a bit.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Just had a nosey around some of the other videos on there - did you see the one of the pug where the owner sort of covers the nostrils to stop it? I might try that next time.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >