Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rambo22
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

My Dog attacks a fox

Recently there's been a lot of foxes in the little park I take my dog to downstairs to do his business. He's chased two foxes, 1 of them being a baby fox but fortunately hasn't caught any yet.

I'm worried that one of these days he'll catch one and kill it.

My question is, if he does, am I liable to prosecution?

Also, would I need to get my dog any rabies or any treatment if he bites a fox and gets bit too?

Appreciated.

My doggy

werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I have not got a clue but is there no way of not allowing him to chase the foxes? I would be mortified too if one of mine killed a fox.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
my dog has a love hate relationship with the foxes in our park. They are very sly and fast though, my huby takes our dog out at 2am and lets him off in the park, the foxes will walk behind him and then let off a wee noise so he turns and then they will run away - but I think they know that he cant catch them, they can run faster and turn quicker where as my boy doesnt have the same level of agileness !!

My hubby says its actually very funny to watch and that the foxes definetly tease him....

not that that helps - but could he actually catch one do you think ? If so then perhaps keep him on a long line for doing his business so that he cant harm himself if he gives chase
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes you will be liable under the hunting with dogs act. You KNOW your dog does it and you have done nothing to prevent it.
Rambo22
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
my dog has a love hate relationship with the foxes in our park. They are very sly and fast though, my huby takes our dog out at 2am and lets him off in the park, the foxes will walk behind him and then let off a wee noise so he turns and then they will run away - but I think they know that he cant catch them, they can run faster and turn quicker where as my boy doesnt have the same level of agileness !!

My hubby says its actually very funny to watch and that the foxes definetly tease him....

not that that helps - but could he actually catch one do you think ? If so then perhaps keep him on a long line for doing his business so that he cant harm himself if he gives chase
Yeah I reckon he could.

The thing is that even if there's none there, like the other day I took him down, no foxes or anything. Then about 3-4 metres away from me a baby fox got a little brave and went into the same park despite seeing me and my dog there. Luckily for the fox he got a little chase then escape through a fence.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I think I`d be a bit worried about the fox bolting across a road or onto a railway line and the dog following TBH. Can you call him off cats etc. ?
Staffs love to play, so maybe you could play ball games more and he can get his fun that way?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
you would not be prosecuted, you could be, but you would not be.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
My dog too hates Foxes, he is a cross that was once used to hunt Foxes, and he has been in a fight with a Fox, when we are walking I am just aware of any chances of Foxes coming out, and keep him on a lead (when I use to smell of Foxes I would have to keep him on a lead at all times) I don't doubt now that he would kill a Fox if he had a chance, so I am just extra careful when we go onto late walks.

Also I would be more concered about mange then rabies if he starts getting hair falling out, espcailly if he has been around Foxes I would go to the vets and ask about mange, as its foxes he doesn't like and not bats you should be ok on the rabies front
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
you would not be prosecuted, you could be, but you would not be.
Wouldnt bank on that.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Wouldnt bank on that.
they do not even prosecute blatant hunting when given evidence by sabs, most chief constables are quite clear about it, they have more important priorities. I always thought hunting with a single dog was legal anyway.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >