Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2010, 04:17 PM

The breeding of dogs; what do YOU think

Some may say this topic has been done to death, but reading over some ancient discussion threads of this similar nature has made me really interested to see new members response,and rather than it being focused on good n bad breeders, crossbreeds, pedigrees, wolf dogs etc, I wanted to hear people's hollistic view, their view on the subject on breeding dogs on a whole.
For YOU:
  • What do you hold as vital and important criteria when looking for a breeder?
  • What breeding practises would you champion or abhor? (I.e line breeding, the breeding of only champion dogs, crossbreeding, numerically high litter figures production in a big time scale [a lot of show breeders do this], smaller scale, hobby breeder, home bred pups etc)
  • What do you feel the main problems with breeding overall is?
  • And anything else at all in regards to your views on breeding, the above were just a few I could think of off the top of my head

For me I would always seek a breeder who bred numerically low and very much small scale, from dogs which are sound in all areas and can do the job I want of being a long lived well balanced pet, as opposed to going to a more structured kennel holding more numerical wins and being responsible for more frequent exhibitors to the rings dog. I would also like to challenge the concept that just because a breeder is quite successfull in the ring equals these said people breeding dogs. Me personally think there needs to be a massive overhaul of what breeders actually want to get out of breeding, and what their aims are in regards to the pups they produce and whether these are being met or not. I personally also do not understand why some people can't have an intact dog, whether pedigree or otherwise, without knocking a litter out as soon as the bitch is old enough when really they have been in the breed five minutes and not at all long enough to know as much as they need too about the breed, or the specific lines, as how can you have full knowledge and be able to advise others if you haven't seen one of each sex, at least, reach full maturity and beyond. I basically feel that there is too much breeding, pedigree, crossbreed or otherwise, and that their needs to be a great reality check brought upon EVERYONE involved, about the dogs we pts and the dogs which are seemingly bred to replace, in a very harsh sense. And that more care needs to be exercised in regards to the rehoming of pups, a tighter contact kept between breeder and owners, more scrupulous homing criteria, and it to be a priority of the breeders, which yes a lot of GOOD breeders do have yet it seems these are becoming fewer and fewer as only yesterdy a relative went and brought a KC registered husky pup, no questions asked, 600 quid, its insane to think its that easy! Aswell as the problems such as rehoming ex breeding or show dogs when they have surpassed their purpose, and the concept of these "fad dogs" such as the wolf hybrids.
The key I think is a reality check needed, a reknewal of the motives of why people breed dogs and what they actually want to aim by breeding for more than some easy cash, to supply demand, or to gain more credibility and reputation in the ring. That health testing should be mandatory rather than optional, and that temperament should be right at the top in joint with health, to then be followed up by deciphering whether the dog is of good enough quality conformation wise to be bred, not the other way round IMO.
I know I've rambled, and probably strayed from my original point of starting this thread. But basically, what are your views of the WHOLE view of the breeding of dogs instead of particular areas which seem to instantly bate an argument? This is purely for discussion purpose, as I've spent my free few hours on a saturday afternoon reading some old threads to pass the time due to the rain
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
For YOU:
  • What do you hold as vital and important criteria when looking for a breeder?
  • What breeding practises would you champion or abhor? (I.e line breeding, the breeding of only champion dogs, crossbreeding, numerically high litter figures production in a big time scale [a lot of show breeders do this], smaller scale, hobby breeder, home bred pups etc)
  • What do you feel the main problems with breeding overall is?
  • And anything else at all in regards to your views on breeding, the above were just a few I could think of off the top of my head
- Some one that breeds from health tested dogs, dogs of a good standard, producing quality pups. Has an understanding and experience of the breed. Competes with their dogs in some way and are breeding in the hope for off spring better than the parents. Plus 100 other things Like bringing pups up in a clean enviroment, well socalised, other dogs are well looked after ect

- I would be put off with some one having litter after litter, some one that didnt breed for themselves and just to produce pups to supply the demand.
Nothing wrong with line breeding imo... I wouldnt buy from a hobby breeder, as I see know reason for them to be breeding. I wouldnt be put off by some one that done champion to champion matings, If I liked the pedigree, and the potential in the pups not forgetting the quality of both parents (including health), and liked the ethics of the breeder in every other way then thats enough for me.

The main problems with breeding is, people breeding to supply the demands, un educated public willing to pay anyone for a pup and the general lack of concern for the well being of the dam, sire, pups and the breed in the long run and the breeders arent just to blame the buyers that support the unethical breeders are just as bad.
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:56 AM
hi there
i once had a friend ( fell out over her over breding ) she had 3 dog's 2 bitches and a dog and every time those poor little dog's came into season the dog had them she did not do any health testing or keep up with there injection's she was definitly a back to back breeder needless to say i dont speek to her now and i know those dog's are still having litter's mony mony mony that's all she was concerned about. to get back to the question i think if a pup is from a good line and a good breeder it would not put me of when i was looking for a pup i went to many a house and was not even asked if i knew anything about the breed eventually i went to yorkshire and a lovely lady called pat ( acredited breeder with the k c )she had me there for over an hour grilling me about the pup even though ive had toy poodles for year's, breeding should be about improving the line of the breed and money should be the last thing you think about, serious breder's want quality litter's not qauntity and back to back breeder's want shooting